For Critique #4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening again folks,
Last piece of the year :D
My piece for critique #4.
It's a small bud vase and I wanted to play with my new Proxxon rotary tool and my first try at texturing in this way.
I had only used an angle grinder up to now and that only gave straight lines.

Its 2 1/2" wide and 5 1/2" high from piece of seasoned Meranti.
Turned with bowl gouge, drilled with forstner and plastic liner inserted.

Finished with 80-400 grit then carved with the Proxxon Micromot and well burnt with the gas torch.
At this point the piece looked very organic but in this case I was after something with a little more jazz so I added one coat of purple spirit stain thinned with 50% spirit but still not enough jazz so I sponged on a coat of purple Jo Sonja’s iridescent paint, got it more jazzy but still wanted a little more so a quick blast of gloss clear acrylic and there it was.

Just two hour with waiting for the various finishes to dry in the cold workshop.

001-2.jpg

Thanks for any comments
Tony

Very striking! I like the texturing.
What`s a Proxxon Micromot? Is it a Dremel type tool?
I reckon you must have a production line going there :wink:

Ian

Hi Ian, yes its like a dremel but smaller, I usually knock out one or two pieces a week but hey I am on holiday so its a piece every day :D

I have started to post here in the hope that feed back will improve my turning.
Lots of you guys are leaving me rather nice comments which is very nice but to be honest I would like negative comments also. (As well as the nice comments that is :D )

I was pleased with the texturing also but lets see what the majority think.
I was very surprised at how easy and fast it was to do the sqiggles but I had seen Tracy Owen do it.
Took a while to find a suitable pointy bit for the Proxxon though. This is just a trial piece, sort of feeling the road for a much bigger form.

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28500.php

hi i am a new boy too and i would be well happy if i could do something like that i did try to texture but it did not work
the only comment i could make (and it would be very picky) is the bottoms of ruts looks a little rough but like i say that's very close to 10/10

looks very striking very much like the bark effect . Could the liner be sunk in a tad more wot do you think.

Brian L

Will you stop, your making the rest of us look bad!!! :lol:

I really like this, it does look like bark!
Would it work if the outside was ..... charred/coloured black? then textured... would it give the zebra effect? i like the hole light and dark thing you see!

love the coluring on this one superb colour.

Hey thanks pip, what I did is real easy honest, perhaps 15 minutes, load up a suitable cutter in your dremel / draper whatever and have a go at sqiggles, the secret is in finding the right type of cutter, and don't try to do a pattern, just squigle, as it happens I searched for a cutter that gave a real torn out grain effect, but hey its just my choice and a I may try one with a neat routed sort of finish now you mention it. Of course a torn out gran could be corrected with a pyro tool, this is what Tracy Owen did in his demo.
Now I dont have a £120 pryo tool but I do have an £8 aldi tool, see pic below (top left)

(but Brian L does have a very nice pyro tool and he lives in the next village (or is it a town?)

It was a Bob Neil demo who gave me the confidence to texture when he showed that even complex patterns can be broken down to just a few simple shapes.

PC110097.jpg

and with an angle grinder

PC220110.jpg

Regard
Tony

BRIAN L":cr57uzw7 said:
looks very striking very much like the bark effect . Could the liner be sunk in a tad more wot do you think.

Brian L

Hi Buddy, you pair drunk yet? we are, well I are, you see I started off with some white which does not keep when opened and then she prepared some lovely beef so we had to open some red and now that's empty so its port and cheese then licquire time.
edit
(can some one please psell liquire for me, you know bailys, egg nog etc)

Yes you quite right regarding the liner but my drill is to short (hammer) (hammer) :mrgreen: :D :D :ho2 :ho2 =D> =D>

Melinda_dd":um26nrzi said:

Would it work if the outside was ..... charred/coloured black? then textured... would it give the zebra effect? i like the hole light and dark thing you see!

Mel, you don't look bad if you don't post pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nah its just six months of hard slog and pushing the marriage to the limit by spending night after nigfht in the shed and some hw its starting to come together (least the wine seems to say it is (hammer)

Setting fire to it fiorst seem like an idea worth trying, thanks will give it a go.
I like zebrano :D

Also would like to try this again but perhaps use ebonising laquer befor e the sanjay, more contrast??

ave a go Mel its the easyest technique so far, just squiggle :p :p

bassethound":26ng40qh said:
very nice indeed :eek:

BUt it is a tiny piece and very qick to make :oops: :oops:

But thanks for the comment, I am getting to like the piece more as time passes.
Bet it wont be long before some visitor steals it in the new year (hammer) (hammer)

Bemused":43yp13fg said:
Melinda_dd":43yp13fg said:

Mel, you don't look bad if you don't post pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nah its just six months of hard slog and pushing the marriage to the limit by spending night after nigfht in the shed and some hw its starting to come together (least the wine seems to say it is (hammer)

Setting fire to it fiorst seem like an idea worth trying, thanks will give it a go.
I like zebrano :D

Also would like to try this again but perhaps use ebonising laquer befor e the sanjay, more contrast??

ave a go Mel its the easyest technique so far, just squiggle :p :p

Yeah I really should... I have a dremel... needs attention as i cant get the bit out
But I also have a smaller vesion too so will have a play.... one day!!

sue denim":2h0jrmds said:
I like it and I would all it ......Avacado......

Inspired me to have a go at texturing....

Watch this space

'Sue'

That's just what the wife said as soon as she saw it, I don't know as I have only ever seen an Advacado from the inside :oops:

Back