For Critique #3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening again ladies and gents.
After a big effort today to master the Big Brother hollowing tool I now have my piece for critique #3.
It's a medium size vase, wood unknown.

Its 6" wide and 9" high wall thickness 1/4", it came from piece of unseasoned log from our wood club raffle.
The inside finish is quite rough and I need much improvement here but other wise its pretty.

Finished with 80-400 grit then just the first micro mesh at 1500 grit and polished with the Chestnut 'A' mop and Tripoli, "B" mop and Diamond white, and finally "C" mop leand pure Canauba wax.

Did not get the initial desired form due to some bad shakes loosing 5" from the head stock end then a further more important chunk from the tail stock end. But managed to keep some nice bark on.

010.jpg

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

But still enough for a shape

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

Thanks for comments, don't hold back just because I am a novice :lol:
Tony

unusual piece of timber, finish looks good, but it scared the dung out of me as I scrolled down. :shock: :shock:

Steve

farmerboyce":30pbap67 said:
but it scared the pineapple out of me as I scrolled down. :shock: :shock:

Steve

Sorry Steve I think I am being a little dim here, whats scary?
Tony

Sorry Tony, it`s me having had the odd bottle of red with me nosebag tonight.
As I scrolled down, I saw a skull like pair of eyes and nose and had a little happening, it`s me age :D :D
On a serious note, what do you think of the chestnut setup? I`m wanting to do similar. I`m thinking old grinder etc.
Any tips would be useful.
Cheers
Steve

Ah the little pictures hidden in the wood, I think they are in all wood its just a matter of drinking enough to see them. :lol: :lol:

The chestnut system is great, comes with an arbor that fits in the chuck so very quick to fit.
The three mops are of differing construction, sort of coarse to fine, I sometimes omit the first mop with the Tripoli compound as it can dirty a soft light wood a little but hey perhaps its just me.

I would not fit the mops to a grinder as you need a three head grinder :mrgreen: (hammer) :D
Actually you need speed control for the mops, you slow them down and the mop becomes softer and more flexible, speed them up and they are harder and stiffer, I find I vary the speed accordingly to the shape of nooks and crannies etc.
For instance I reduced the speed of the mops around the bark in the above photos.

Also bear in mind the larger diameter mops may be speed limited, I think the 8" mops are recommended not to exceed 2000rpm, but I have run 8" at 3000+ on occasion.
I also ended up getting the smaller goblet cone shaped mops, its sort of addictive.

I can highly recommend the system, brings your gloss finish on no end and once you have a set its hard to imagine being without them.
Sort of like not having a whole range of grits for sanding, not having that extra bowl gouge with a real short bevel or doing with out O'donnel jaws, all things that brought my turning on no end in a short time.

Just one word of warning, like all new toys they take some getting the hang of and the odd piece may be flung across the shop at first.
If the presentation angle is incorrect then its sort of like a dig in with a skew (hammer) (hammer)

Tony

nice to see the decision issues covered as part of the 'presentation' - and I agree the bark elements add significantly to the final piece.

interested in the wood; hints of eucalyptus but not convinced. Maybe sycamore?

BRIAN L"The finish looks to be good even on the inside. Brian L[/quote said:
Well I was taught by a man who worked in Bentley Motors wood shop you know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can inspect more closely when your next around and see if its going to pass the front of car test (hammer)

Back