For a few apples more and a box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
Various forces have pulled me in other directions than on the forum for the last week but I have not been idle in the woodturning department and have been producing some more coloured apples and a Cocobolo box. Here are the pictures please enjoy and any comments will be most welcome.
Picture051.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture049-1.jpg

Picture048-1.jpg

Also I see many new names on the forum so hello and its nice to see more people joining the turning fraternity.
Regards,
Ian

Hi, I REALLY like all of them! The apples are both a nice shape and the colouring is really effective. Love the shape of the box both different and really pleasing to the eye....might have a stab at copying that!

Lovely Stuff.

Matt

hello- you have been busy :)

the apples look a bit odd all having straight stalks, is there any way to carve or steam bend some of them?

cocobolo is a stunning/expensive wood- but i think your design hasnt showed it of to its full potential- it looks bottom heavy- the proportions between the lid and base arent quite right, the other odd thing is the mix of gloss and matt surfaces- what polish/finish have you used?

Good morning Matt and George,
Thanks for your comments both and to clarify the finish George I take the pictures in the conservatory so that I make use of natural light, however I have taken the internal shot from above and so it looks a gloss finish whereas the side shot is not benefitting from the light above and therefore looks matt. The wood is sanded to 800 and then treated with burnishing cream and finally buffed with carnauba wax.
Regarding the stalks I had not taken that idea on board before but will look at ways to improve the appearance.
Regards,
Ian

Top work Ian, love the colouring, although I must admit I always leave mine au-natural. Not a bad shape but as said you need to work on the lower shape a bit more. Smaller base, and more curve to the sides, I know apples come in all shapes and sizes, but they don't have any straight bits. Stems a bit too big for me, personally I don't mind the shape you have used, just too big.

Also as George mentioned the box looks as if the finish is not quite consistent, could just be the photography of course, but with small ornate items like this the finish must be impeccable inside and out.

PS Slow at typing, you got in about the photography before I finished. #-o

Love the apples, colouration is supurb. Must agree with George, the stalks need some rethink.
Cocobolo is a wood I have never had the pleasure of working in the 19 years I've been turning.
It is a very nice box. wonderful finish.
Well done.

John. B

The colouring on the apples is great - very realistic. However, I think the stalks are a bit too thick for the size of the apples - and as someone else mentioned, they come out too straight from the top.

Like the shape of the cocobolo box.

tekno.mage

Hi Ian,

You've done a great job with the colouring on those apples, well done =D> =D> . As already mentioned I like to make them a bit more round and also where the stalk comes out, I usually cut down deeper into the wood to make them more realistic.

Personally I don't mind the box at all. Nice finish you've got on it and a good grain match. Maybe a smaller bottom might improve it :?: . Maybe that's for next time.

HTH

Richard

The apples are very symmetrical and look more like red peppers. What you need to do is make a jam chuck and put the apple in at an off centre angle. With some practice with a spindle and skew you can make the most exquisite tactile and natural shaped fruits. Also I find colouring the fruits rather unnecessary and takes away the essence off the wood. There is a tendency for people to make their objects too shiny and not concentrate on the shape, form, design etc. Eventually the colour will go and the shape is all you will be left with. Sorry to sound a bit harsh but it is the only way to raise standards and will benefit us all in the long run.

a much smaller stalk (black or ebonised would be good) inset at an angle would transform those with the better shape...some are a little 'blocky'

The one on the right front row looks about right ...good point from sole fly..a little off centre work would add a uniqueness to each one

oldsoke":2pbo7in2 said:
a much smaller stalk (black or ebonised would be good) inset at an angle would transform those with the better shape...some are a little 'blocky'

The one on the right front row looks about right ...good point from sole fly..a little off centre work would add a uniqueness to each one

"A little off centre work..." Just like that :(

Hi All,
Just got back on line and I am very pleased to receive all the comments which I have duly noted and will take into account and possibly put into practice for the next batch.
Best regards to all,
Ian

Ian, I used to do a lot of fruit.
I found that a small piece of ebony rough turned with a spindle gouge then set in to the apple on an angle looked the most realistic.
If I have one left I will post a pic.

Used to do cherries on green plastic coated garden tieing wire too.
I found these fiddly to do but a couple in a bowl with other fruits looked good.
Went to a craft fair once and sold alot of fruit but one customer asked if i could turn a whole bowl of these cherries. Think I would have gone mad doing a bowl full.
Martyn

Soulfly":19id7cua said:
What you need to do is make a jam chuck and put the apple in at an off centre angle. With some practice with a spindle and skew you can make the most exquisite tactile and natural shaped fruits. Also I find colouring the fruits rather unnecessary and takes away the essence off

hi soulfly
would you care to show us what you mean by this and how they look once having this applied, i would love to see the difference..

Hi Martyn,
Thanks for your comments and yes a picture paints a thousand words so I would find that very interesting, which leads me on to Steve buk's comments to Soulfly seeing would be believing and understanding. I'm always prepared to learn new techniques!
Regards,
Ian

Sole flea made some valid points...

there are some good books on off centre turning plus there's always the opportunity to watch the likes of John Berkely and others ...

If you get the chance take a look at the batch of apples made by (I think) Ray Key (It's in one of his books iirc). [memory cells are a diminishing resource]:roll:

A picture is worth 1k words but it's no substitute for the real thing... take the healthy option and buy some apples! Touch 'em, feel 'em ...eat 'em :p

personally I'd rather do one good one than several 'not quites' ... the time to go into production is when you've perfected the product.
Top tip: If the shape isn't right don't waste time and resources colouring it unless you have a market for coloured firewood.

Back