Football

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Watching football last evening I noticed that a defender kicked a ball at is own goalkeeper and the keeper used his hands to gather the ball.

I thought goalkeepers were only allowed to use their feet in such instances, what are the rules?

My understanding of the rules is if the ball is kicked back to the goal keeper he cannot use his hands, however if the ball is headed back to the keeper he can use his hands.

Can't comment on the game as I didn't see it.

You are correct on that rule. Maybe it just wasn't spotted. Will let it go if accidental or if a deflection aswell.
Enjoyed the games so far and think its an open competition this time round.I think anyone with a run of luck is capable of winning it, even England, dare I say it. We do have a really strong back 5.
Be good to hear everyones thoughts on this.

I think the referee has discretion in deciding whether it was a deliberate pass back or not :shock:

Dave

Yeah, deliberate back pass = keeper cannot collect with his hands.

If the ref decides that the ball was accidentally passed back to the keeper, then he can collect with his hands. E.g. A deflection off a defender's foot or a sliced clearance. This avoids the ridiculous scenario of a defender slicing a clearance towards his own goal and the keeper not being allowed to save the ball.

The incidence last night was that the defender prevented the opposition scoring using a kick which was heading for goal and the goalkeeper joined in clearing up the oppositions original kick, perhaps deflection was accepted.

devonwoody":1gs5rkz3 said:
The incidence last night was that the defender prevented the opposition scoring using a kick which was heading for goal and the goalkeeper joined in clearing up the oppositions original kick, perhaps deflection was accepted.
There has to be intent. A sliced clearance picked up by the keeper is fine

Decent opening display and good result for Engerland tonight. Far more cohesive than they,ve looked for quite a while.

Schechenko has just rolled back the years! Great striker back in the day, not bad even now!

I think we've had a reality check and it's done us good. We've realised that we aren't in a position to take on the big boys toe to toe at the moment, so we've had to roll our sleeves up and graft out a result. If we carry on we might over achieve for once!

I think the England team has lacked one winning trait for years....Confidence...So much so that they look surprised when they score.

Andy

Latest posts

Back