foot switch for axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
i have the Axminster Trade AT460SS Scroll Saw and i would like a foot switch for it, will the hegner foot switch fit it please.
thanks

A few years ago there were several threads about foot switches and I think that many of us including me purchased a cheap item from ebay. It works a treat and cost about £8 plus a bit of wire a plug and a socket.
It may be worth doing a search on the forum to see if you can find it and see if it will fit your needs.

well i cant find a single thread relating to this at all, might i ask what item it was that you bought from ebay, i have an electrician going to do the job for me but he is not sure where to wire it so i would love to find more information regarding this matter, would an old sewing machine footswitch do the job??

If your electrician can't work it out, get a new electrician! :shock:

Adding a footswitch to any tool is really very simple.

:lol: Alright
Momentary footswitch wired into an extension cable (so you can use it on other machines). 6A rating seems to be the most common and cheapest, probably sufficient for your saw and many other tools.

Bypass the NVR on the saw or better still replace with a simple on/off switch. Job done.

thank you Rorschach , that doesn't mean anything to me at all, you say bypass the NVR but dont say where to plug it instead, i will ask the electrician if he understands that description, he is far better rewiring houses than trying to remove switches from machines, thank you..

Steve.
The switch you have linked to is the exact same switch that I have.
My saws don't have nvr switches so I just wired the foot switch into an extension lead, if yours does I think you would need to bypass it. I can't help on how to do that but it should be simple enough for someone competent enough.
I don't think that not having an nvr would be a problem as in many ways the foot switch does the same job.

IMG_20200723_144736-1008x756.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_144736-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20200723_144736-1008x756.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 509
thank you so much, this picture paints a thousand words, i have saved your picture to show the electrician, do we have to make the NVR redundant?

Attachments

• 501201_xl.jpg
    501201_xl.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 283
stevebuk":15nhlyns said:
thank you so much, this picture paints a thousand words, i have saved your picture to show the electrician, do we have to make the NVR redundant?

I think so because every time you take your foot off the switch you cut the power to the machine and the nvr will trip out so next time you press the switch you will have to reset the nvr that kind of makes it having no point in having a foot switch.

If you really wanted to keep the NVR then connecting the foot switch between the NVR and the front switch/speed controller should work, looking at photos on Aminsters site there is a plug/socket in between them already so you just need another one to insert the foot switch.

Attachments

• Graphic11.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
loftyhermes":2rosnlkq said:
If you really wanted to keep the NVR then connecting the foot switch between the NVR and the front switch/speed controller should work, looking at photos on Aminsters site there is a plug/socket in between them already so you just need another one to insert the foot switch.

hi lofty
this looks good but i have no idea what i need to buy or what would plug into it, would it be straight from the mains into it? and is it possible to wire up this type of plug? may i ask, i know you are fairly local to me, if this proves too much of a challenge for my electrician may i hire your services to fit it up for me?

You just need the same type as is fitted, then the foot switch would be wired in between, that is the feed from the NVR to the foot switch and then from the foot switch to the front on/off speed switch. This should be an easy fix for an electrician to do, plus he'll know what and where to get the plug/socket from or might have another way of doing it. Messing about with electricity is not really my skill, whilst I would consider doing it for my self, no way would I do it for any one else, though if you do get stuck you could always see if Frank in Southwell is willing to assist you.

Latest posts

Back