Food safe wood finishes ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all first timer here.
I am trying to find a food safe wood finish for a fruit bowl ?? remembering that some fruit like oranges release acid's when to ripe, so the finish has to be tough.

Thank you for any help.
Doug.

Food-safe mineral oil is good. Chestnut sell it, or 'liquid paraffin BP' from a pharmacy is safe - but avoid paraffin without the BP label as that is not safe.

It is not that long lasting though and you do need to renew every few months.

For an impermeable food-safe finish I have no real information. I think vegetable oils can go rancid, but nut oils are safer, based on experience with woodwind instruments.

Keith

Basically all film finishes once they completely are food safe.

Non curing oils, apart from mineral oil, aren’t a good idea.

Very few finishes are safe to eat apart from shellac that you probably eat with reasonable frequency.

So the short answer is a water based polyurethane is likely to be best as it becomes a plastic when cured.

If you want a finish that has been tested then it will be from a big company as the cost for testing is substantial and they don’t bother to get most finishes tested.

General finishes bowl finish is food safe and can be taken from a satin to a gloss shine

chestnut have lots as well

Not sure if it would be the best look, but I tend to use a “wood butter” type finish on wood that will be in contact with food, safe to eat it and very water repellent, it’s 4 parts liquid paraffin/mineral oil and 1 part beeswax, heat it all gently in a saucepan to melt the Beeswax and then let it cool, should have the consistency of peanut butter. You can then rub it into the wood in a couple of layers and buff it to a shine. Does need repeating every few months on a bread board so might last longer on a fruit bowl.
Agree that shellac would be a great choice, great finish and non-toxic/edible

Osmo Top oil is food safe, good for chopping boards and turned items.
Tung oil (pure) also safe after curing, but needs a few coats ideally.
For a tough, glossy finish on food items, melamine is hard to beat. Available in spray or liquid and if you put a couple of coats on, then cut back with micro fine Yorkshire grit, you can get a high shine.

I have used olive oil on dozens of items, and none have ever gone rancid. Never on a fruit bowl though, so can't comment on a potential reaction with acidity.

Back