food safe oil's/vanish's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmab9

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and gal's I use Tung oil at the moment but it leaves a smell on the bowls and kuksa'a is there anything I can use that will seal the wood and make it food safe and won't leave a smell #-o #-o

If you must have a water repelling finish then Liquid Paraffin is just about the blandest thing you can use.

Food Safe Oil (chestnuts)
Ikea (Skydd oil)
Local pharmacy BP

In order of Thinnest first (Lower viscosity and quickest drying)

The above won't seal the wood though just add some water repelance.

I have used Hard Wax Oil on some used for serving chopped salads and it seems to hold up as a sealer but the most of our main users don't have anything applied now.

Does anyone knwo if tung oil is safe from a nut allergy point of view?

I would have thought the amount that get into food is extremely small.

I have used Danish oil on my worktops and boards. I am not aware of any problem with it for that purpose.

Tetsuaiga":3qli3za1 said:
Does anyone knwo if tung oil is safe from a nut allergy point of view?

I would have thought the amount that get into food is extremely small.

I expect this would depend on the individuals tolerance to nut products, but at the end of the day, Tung Oil is a nut product, so is it worth the risk? I think I would be inclined to play safe and use something else.

Ok so tung oil is nut based what about Osmo Top Oil ,us as I want to use the bowls and kuksa's I want to seal them from stains Kuksa I want to put whisky in or beer ,Bowls for crisps and fruit may by dips.

For my bowls I use cold pressed linseed oil, this is food safe and a natural Sussex grown product. I use a deep fat fryer and immerse the bowls and plates into it. This is the only way I have found that the oil will actually go into the wood. It takes time to dry, but is the best natural product I use. With Kuksa I have used melted pure beeswax to water proof them, again you will need extra heat to ensure that the wax goes into the wood. The wax may taint the whisky, especially at first. The way to liquid proof wood for drinking is boiling in milk, and this will make wood 100% waterproof. Milk paint is made from milk and can be washed again and again. I have heard plenty of people say you will die of various toxic bacteria, but I am still here as are many Scandinavian people who regular drink milky coffee from there wooden vessels.

Can vegetable oil (as in the kind used for cooking) be used? I'm currently making a chopping board for a present, and would like to accentuate the grain for when it's presented.

disco m- yes it can. I saw that done on "how its made".

I also read not to use olive oil because it "clogs" the board. I dont know quite what that means though.

Have a look at what is in Osmo Top Oil...

Product information: TopOil

Description

Osmo TopOil is a micro-porous, clear and matt finish wood finish for wooden kitchen work tops and general interior joinery (table tops and furniture).

The Osmo TopOil surface is extremely tough and hard-wearing. It is water-repellent and dirt-resistant. The finish is resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juices, milk and water etc. when dry according to DIN 68861 - 1C (German Industrial Norm).

Dirt can easily be removed without trace. Renovating, even partially, is easy. Just clean and re-treat worn areas: No sanding, no repair marks, no removal of previous TopOil finish.

Osmo TopOil is based on natural vegetable oils and waxes. It is micro-porous and does not crack, flake, peel or blister. Therefore it is an ideal treatment even in rooms with high humidity.
Osmo TopOil is very easy to apply: Only two thin coats no primer!). It is of a creamy consistence (thixotropic). The matt sheen can be intensified by slight polishing. Grain and texture of the wood are accentuated.
Product based on natural oil and wax
Osmo TopOil is based on natural vegetable oils and waxes. Natural oils and waxes penetrate deeply into the wood, keeping it elastic and healthy, and preventing it from getting dry and brittle. The wood is allowed to breathe. Moisture can evaporate. Shrinking and swelling are reduced.

Latest posts

Back