food safe finishes apart from oils.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
I will start a separate thread, it may be easier to find in the future.
Apart from Food safe Oils or Chestnut Food safe finish (which i think is an oil also) what would be a suitable finish for our March challenge cake stand?
All my searches seem to point to oil as the only suitable finishes. Are there any other options??
Ta.

Pure Beeswax, it is eaten by a lot of people and is I think considered a food item although I am not sure. Also shellac as used on a lot of sweets etc.

john

None of the Sealers or finishes should be a problem once cured when used for something intended to hold dry goods such as a cake stand.
It's only the solvents that are a problem if consumed.
Melamine enhanced Cellulose Sealer/Lacquer is used to seal and waterproof drinking vessels.
If you are bothered use shellac, a lot of fruit and other edibles in the supermarkets are coated in it as preservative and to enhance the shine.

Just apply TFSR, (the 4-second rule): As long as the food is only on anything, (including the floor), it's considered safe to eat, especially in our house! (though the wood chips make it a bit chewy #-o

I use melamine to coat my goblets, beeswax is fine for any dry goods as Chas says. Avoid anything that has nut oil in it to play safe. Microcrystalline polish is also supposedly non toxic but I can't guarantee it personally.

Pete

Hello,

All natural waxes, like insect wax, bees wax, Japan wax, camellia etc.
Shellac.
Most natural terpenoid resins, like dammar, copal etc.
Cellulose-nitrat.
Oriental lacquer.
Milk paint.
Plasticizers, fillers, driers and pigments can turn any finish toxic.
Natural waxes and resins are prone to chemical contaminations (pesticides etc.), so it is wise to buy them from pharmaceutical or food industry supply houses. They could give you certifications about the composition and food safety of the material you buy.

Have a nice day,

János

Back