Follow the arrows..not a dovetail in sight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just returned from an outing to Ikea at Bristol...... interesting expedition. From what I could see going round, el cheapo stuff was really cheap and tatty whilst the better stuff appeared to be at about the same price or a fraction lower than 'high st' retailers. I saw some unitslike these that looked quite pleasant, but on closer inspection hadn't seen a lick of any grade of sandpaper, just a quick spray of matt laquer. The best thing I saw, which was really comfortable and fantastic value was this reclining chair The version I sat in was upholstered in red hide and sold for £110 and a matching footstool was to be had for £40. Mind you, as we went round the place SWIMBO's eyes took on that glazed 'lets get the hell out of here' sorta look, matched by a face that could strip paint at 25m so we beat a hasty retreat through the warehouse following, as ever, the arrows.... JK's set the bar far too high :D :roll: - Rob

I bought one of these Bekvam kitchen trolleys a couple of weeks ago. It's dead solid and makes a smashing moveable workbench. You couldn't buy the wood for what they charge.

Gill

Gill":228pz5hn said:
I bought one of these Bekvam kitchen trolleys a couple of weeks ago. It's dead solid and makes a smashing moveable workbench. You couldn't buy the wood for what they charge.

Gill

And I suppose it was cheaper to purchase than buy the timber to make oneself?

devonwoody":3ni6xwjs said:
Gill":3ni6xwjs said:

Gill

And I suppose it was cheaper to purchase than buy the timber to make oneself?

Isnt that what Gill Said :roll:

Sorry I overlooked the end of the thread.

I've noticed that focus are doing garden furniture (packs) again it would be cheaper to purchase the kits than buy from their timber stocks.

woodbloke":3vj5ecvl said:
The best thing I saw, which was really comfortable and fantastic value was this reclining chair ...

I've got one of those, with black leather upholstery. Once I'd sat in it, I couldn't not take it home. It's a great chair.

We've only just got Ikea out here. It's crucifying the low end Japanese stores and, to be honest, good riddance. They were selling lower quality stuff for three times the price. Consumer furniture here has sucked for ages (think 1970s MFI).

I remember when they opened an ikea here w.yorks. They dedicated the inside lane (motorway) to it for about a mile.
And sure enough it queued up!.But ikea mean's style to many, you don't need to be able to choose stylish items,
just buy from ikea instant cred.
I've had a look and here's my take on ikea,two palets+matress= bed,two pallets in 90
degree formation +sheet over the top = sofa, pallet +............
And of course the U.K depot is the most expensive. :lol:

woodbloke":w5suutzj said:
The best thing I saw, which was really comfortable and fantastic value was this reclining chair The version I sat in was upholstered in red hide and sold for £110 and a matching footstool was to be had for £40.

Rob, we bought a couple of those chairs for our lounge. Ours are in oak with beige leather upholstery. Really comfortable. I think the design is a bit of a classic. Couldn't afford the footstools at the time but hope to get them one day. I would not buy most of the stuff in IKEA but they have one or two things, like those chairs, that are really good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Gill":obmdya32 said:

Agreed. A friend of mine was throwing out one of those, so I grabbed it and now use it as a moveable base for my drill stand. I've covered three of the sides with MDF so the bottom is a cabinet :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back