Foley Retoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I seemed to have accumulated a collection of panel saws that need some work :oops: While i wouldnt say I am a collector i seem to have more than i need along with 6 miter boxes and saws.
In the spirit of this i managed to accidently buy a foley retoother and collection of carrier bars. However the ratchet bar was broken by the owners brother for scrap. While I have the halves welding looks dubious.
So anyone know where i can get some ratchets bars or has someone got any to sell? I intend to get good at sharpening so this is stage one.
Help would be gratefully received.
Owen

Owen,

whilst I don't pretend to be any sort of expert in woodworking but reading your post I have not the faintest idea what you are talking about so maybe this applies to others too?

Would another part of the forum be better or some photos to clarify?

hth

Bob

It appears to be an indexing system. Could lengths of suitable studding be used instead?

If you are cutting new teeth then the pitch needs not be absolutely spot on.

Bob

Sorry for the slight vagueness. I was working on the theory that if you had a retoother lying around then you would know what i was on about. If not then I guess it didn't matter.
I went to an engineering place and they seem to think they can repair the bar so fingers crossed. However I would like to be able to retooth a number of different saws so I may have to investigate making some.
Made me wonder how they retooth saws on a bigger level. I appreciate that handmade saws could be filed and the impulse hardened ones must be some giant machine but what do they for mid level manafacturers like lie nielsen or wenzloff etc.
owen

I suggest googling in the OLDTOOLS archive. Various members over there have the enthusiasm (and shop space) to "have a go" with a Foley.

I think there's been the odd thread on woodnet too.

They're quite common on the s/h market in the USA as the tool shops sell them off (since they no longer sharpen hand saws).

BugBear

Have got the news that the firm have fixed the bar together. I am looking forward to a test.
If this works I will look at ways of milling up a finer set of teeth.
Owen

Latest posts

Back