Folding solid shutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon_c

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
When I previously mentioned my folding shutters project in another thread someone expressed an interest. So here they are part done.

This is my first major woodworking project, so has been a real learning experience.

Hand tools only, though I did get the pieces planed to width and thickness by the timber yard. Mortise and tenon panels. Plough plane for rebates for the centre of the panel and overlaps.

Design based on information from an ancient joinery book, random forums and photos online.

There's obviously some painting to finish, and a top set to make. Then there's some moulding to go on the wall to line up with where they sit when folded back.

Despite thinking I had carefully measured them they are not all exactly the same height. However, they work about as expected and the overlaps etc all seem good so I'm fairly happy.

Attachments

• shutters.mp4
    4.9 MB
They look very good, exactly like the shutters I have on some of my windows from ~1860's house, except all mine are full length. On my windows, there is a small length of wood fixed to the sill, to position the shutters when they are open

Very nice.
I've been threatening to do full length versions for nearly four years now.
Maybe soon.

There will eventually be a top tier too I just haven't made them yet. I started this tier in September so not exactly progressing fast.

We wanted tier on tier so we could shut only the top when the sun is low in the winter.

Guessing half height for privacy rather than cutting out light?
Very neat design.
The idea is to have two tiers. Then the bottom can be closed for privacy while keeping light (mostly for any confidential work) or one top part shut when the sun is low and too bright to see the PC monitor.

Very nice.
I've been threatening to do full length versions for nearly four years now.
Maybe soon.
It has actually been less difficult to make than I thought. I'm very much a beginner and have been able to make them and they work.

The trickiest bits were:
- working out the overlaps etc to get them looking the same size when open and closed
- workin out the exact hinge position so they overlap the frame slightly when closed to block light but sit flush when open for a neat wood-panel feel.
- getting cheap B and Q backflap hinges to go on straight (plastic packers between the shutters helped with this)

If you have a router making the panels would probably be quicker. I did grooves with a plough plane and then mortises and tenons with chisel and saw.

When I previously mentioned my folding shutters project in another thread someone expressed an interest. So here they are part done.

This is my first major woodworking project, so has been a real learning experience.

Hand tools only, though I did get the pieces planed to width and thickness by the timber yard. Mortise and tenon panels. Plough plane for rebates for the centre of the panel and overlaps.

Design based on information from an ancient joinery book, random forums and photos online.

There's obviously some painting to finish, and a top set to make. Then there's some moulding to go on the wall to line up with where they sit when folded back.

Despite thinking I had carefully measured them they are not all exactly the same height. However, they work about as expected and the overlaps etc all seem good so I'm fairly happy.
I cannot see anything,,,just a bit of hammering,,,

Latest posts

Back