Folding sliding doors - advice on locks please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting to the final stage in my bifold door build and beginning to think about locks. I have 3 doors, each 60mm thick, laminated from 3 layers of iroko, and opening outwards using Centor E3 top hung gear. The end door will act as an occasional back door, although I suspect we may use it more than we had initially anticipated. The position is moderately exposed to the west so a good seal will be essential.

I'm thinking about a 3 point lock - but not with shootbolts - to ensure that the door is held tight against the seal along it's full height. Any thoughts as to which lock to use? Roto seem to do one where the slave latches rotate a bit like a cam which compresses the weather seal - but do you think this is overkill?

The second question concerns the door keep. The jamb is deeper than the door, so when the door is closed it is not flush with the outside of the jamb which projects a further 60mm. It has just dawned on me that the door latch will drag across the jamb until it gets to the keep unless there is some sort of mod. This is demonstrated in the first pic of the completed project in Jon's thread of the doors after they have been painted and installed and which actually inspired me to give this a try in the first place. In that pic it would appear that there is an extended keep. Was this something you made yourself or is there a keep specially designed for the job?

A second possibility would be to retrofit an additional jamb that is just deep enough to allow for the latch - say about 12mm - and which would be the same thickness as the door. After allowing for door clearance of (say) 3mm, this would leave 12mm to bear on the existing 27mm door stop. Not ideal, but do-able. This would mean taking 2mm off each side of each door to find the 12mm, but at least they've not been finished yet, whereas the frame has received 3 coats of Sikkens Filter 7 and is ready to fit! Thoughts please?

Why not rebate a bit of that jamb back so that the door latch doesn't strike any timber but just hits the keep. You could do it on the other side and it would look "balanced".

3 point locks - euro cylinder? I'm not a fan of them. Much rather go for a cylinder higher up and a mortice lock lower down.

HIH

Dibs

I had a Klober set fitted last year on a job and that had an extended stainless keep. Can't help with teh locking as it was single lock with lockable shoot bolts.

J

Dibs-h":2r7t2tr8 said:
Why not rebate a bit of that jamb back so that the door latch doesn't strike any timber but just hits the keep. You could do it on the other side and it would look "balanced".

3 point locks - euro cylinder? I'm not a fan of them. Much rather go for a cylinder higher up and a mortice lock lower down.

HIH

Dibs

Thanks Dibs. When you say a cylinder lock, do you mean a Euro cylinder lock? Or one of those universal cylinder bolts operated by a hexagonal star shaped key? I guess if I got some locks that were "keyed alike" then at least i wouldn't be faffing with multiple keys.

jasonB":2r7t2tr8 said:
I had a Klober set fitted last year on a job and that had an extended stainless keep. Can't help with teh locking as it was single lock with lockable shoot bolts.

J

Thanks Jason.. Looks like the door jamb problem could be overcome at the latch with an "extended lip keep" a bit like this one. I can't find one in the UK, but if they won't post to the UK then I'll get it sent to my son in San Francisco and he can send it!

RogerM":gjq1yr26 said:
Thanks Dibs. When you say a cylinder lock, do you mean a Euro cylinder lock? Or one of those universal cylinder bolts operated by a hexagonal star shaped key? I guess if I got some locks that were "keyed alike" then at least i wouldn't be faffing with multiple keys.

Roger

By cylinder I mean something like - http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Prod ... Nightlatch

I paid about £80 for mine. Very difficult to get thru\pick.

Mortice - http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Chubb-3G ... b3g110.htm

Again very difficult to get thru.

With just a normal latch\handle in the middle.

HIH

Dibs

p.s. There are cheaper locks, but what price do you put on security.

Back