Folding router tables?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Group,

I see a lot of traffic relating to router tables in the forum, and as an occasional router user the expense of a fully fledged router table is a little offputting, as well as a major problem with storage.

So what I am looking for is a desgn of a router table top that will drop onto my Black and Decker workmate, as and when needed, and then can be hung up in the shed when not in use.

Does anyone know of a design that I can utilise in this manner, or better still of a manufacturer that produces such an object?

Perhaps somebody will have a better solution to my problem, if so please let me know.

Charlie, It might make a good project for UKworkshop .

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David

Hi David

The number of times I see posts like yours makes me think that I should go into production! It's relatively simple to make a low-cost insert to go into your Workmate, however I think that you'd find it was way too low to use comfortably - my Workmate is about 28 or so inches off the ground whilst my table saw and a lot of other machines are around 36 inches or so off the ground.

Possibly the best thing to make would be a sort of box without ends from 19mm MDF or chipboard which the router could be screwed into and which would then be held onto the Workmate using a couple of G-cramps. I did design one of these ages ago - if I can find the drawings I'll post them.

BTW what type of router do you have?

Regards

Scrit

Hi David,

It was only the other day when I was thinking about building a workmate router table for UKW :)

Hi Scrit & Charlie,

My present router is a little B&D KW800, which I find ideal for light hand use.
I do realise that I must buy a decent one when I get a table, but first I must get the table.

Charlie I will be looking forward to your design too. In fact you could do a series of them, one for a big circle saw and one for a jig saw.

Thanks again for the interest.

David

I'm having a similar issue with regards to storage and have started designing a router table for my workmate.

Whilst looking around for T-Track to mount the fences and mitre guage, I discovered that Axminster do a router table insert that is designed with the people like us in mind. It drops into a home built workshop unit quite easily, but ensures that your router connection to the table is a solid one, rather important methinks with a router cutter spinning at 12,000 rpm..

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=411001

Trend do a similar product thats actually about a tenner cheaper, but looks just the same.

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/rti/

Certainly worth considering if you're building you're own table.

Paul.

Back