Folding Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know the correct technique to folding these things, they always get delivered in a small package but i find it a nightmare to try and fold back up. I try and look at how they are first folded but after running them for a while i forget
My blades are particularly long and trying to fold 1 1/2" wide blades with sharp teeth is proving a challenge,
AAARRRHH
please help
Ian

Ian,
Hold the blade in front of you with one hand, keeping the teeth pointing away from you. Wear a glove if you’ve got one handy. Put your foot inside the loop and step on the blade, securing it firmly to the floor. Simultaneously rotate and lower your hand as you hold the top of the blade. By the time your hand makes three-quarters to one full revolution, the blade will have popped into three coils.

Ian,
there used to be a free video on how to do this on the FineWoodworking website.
Just checked-no more. I'll see if I have it at work-will pm it to you.
Philly :D

Cheers Chris, Philly,

Chris, I tried your instructions, but it seems to keep whipping back, i've come back in to de-stress, and get more body armour. It clipped me on the leg i'm now walking like a crab with piles, and my face is like a melted wellie with fright
I feel a right fool at not being able to do something that is probobly so simple.
I will have a go later when i've calmed down,
not hurt though just a bruised ego

Ian

Ian,

Don't worry about it. It's one of those things; once you "get it" you'll always wonder why you ever had any trouble. It took me ages. :oops: I tried to write a description of another way of doing it, but it ended up "you turn your right wrist like this and then bring the other arm over like that" etc, which somehow I didn't think would be helpful... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Ian,

Gawd - sounds terrible! My instructions left out one possibly important point - The hand you twist with is best inserted into the initial single loop with your palm pointing away from you rather than towrds your body.

I’ve had another go; I think Bruce Forsyth would have given me 10 points for ‘Dancing the Tango’
I got all serious and went outside with it, First dance I was like a Ballerina, all graceful but my legs looked more like a New Born Deer after 10 pints of Miller
After the blade or should I say ‘Weapon of Mass Destruction’ went over into a double pretzel I started to lose my bottle so eased off again, by this time I had an audience, buckled over with laughter, wondering what the heck I’m trying to do
Not wanting to lose face I gave it another go; whip; now the blade is inside out, worse than when I started.
This Blade is 4.5 metres long 40mm wide with teeth that makes Jaws look Gumsy and is just not playing the game.
I have taken the decision to open a narrower blade to have a practice on, outside without an audience and full body armour,
Chris your help is greatly appreciated but for now I’m still unsuccessful, I must not be reading it right, I’m now back in de-stressing with a miller, I’ll try again tomorrow; I’ll sleep on it hopefully it’ll fall into place
I’ll let you know

Ian

Hi Ian

I can't stop laughing at the thought. They can be quite entertaining until you get the hang of it. Can't you find something a little shorter just to practise with, and maybe a little blunter might be a good idea. I think it is an impossible thing to describe very accurately but I think Chris has done his best. Never mind I am looking forward to at least one more very entertaining post on this subject. Please don't let me down.

All the best

John

I know I shouldn't laugh, Ian, but... :lol: To make up, does this help at all? (I'm pretty sure that's swiped straight out of the Complete Woodworker's Manual. Tsk, tsk. :? ) A face visor makes life a little more comfortable too, in case of spring back.

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Or there's this page too.

Hi ALF,
I've had tooooo many millers to try again tonight, the pictures seem to make sense; thanks, i'll give it another go tomorrow,

I'm sure these things are just crocodiles in disguise, just waiting to have a bite whilst looking at them :evil:

Ian

now destressed and slowly getting my sense of humour back, now i just need to apologise to SWMBO and whoever else heard my frustrations

Alf,

That is a great find. Ian, I reckon I am a method 2 man on the second link but as it says it may not work for your big blades so Method 1 looks like your best bet - without the help of Mr. Miller of course.

I'm sure that all parents who have made the mistake of buying one of those awful pop-up tent things for their wee-ones will recognise that method. :evil:
You try getting one of those things back into its little bag! If you can do that, you can do any bandsaw baled. :wink:

Cheers,
Barry

Well Success,

Cheers Alf, Chris,

I have managed to fold up 6 smaller blades so far, easy peasy, the illustrations were spot on; I used the first set. :lol:
I still haven’t managed to Tame the Rockweiler as yet, my bottle hasn’t stretched that far It can hang on the wall like a hunters trophy until I pluck up the courage to have another go at it. :twisted:
It would probably have been easier to take a meaty bone off a hungry pit bull than fold that thing.
The bandsaw I have always viewed as the tamest of all the saw family until ‘Jaws’ arrived. Still It cuts through everything I’ve fed it so far so I cant complain. :)
Once again all thanks

Ian

cheers Barry I know what you mean

Ian Dalziel":31aw536v said:
The bandsaw I have always viewed as the tamest of all the saw family until ‘Jaws’ arrived. Still It cuts through everything I’ve fed it so far so I cant complain. :)

Ian,

how about a picture of this monster that lurks in your workshop, sounds very impressive :D

Back