Foiled again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Faced with fixing some things inside the house onto an exterior wall but not sure where the studs were, I thought :idea: Use my Wizard metal detector to find the screws fixing the plasterboard to the studs. Good idea but FAIL in practice as it's foil backed plasterboard :(

These are small items else I'd simply drill small holes along until I found a stud..knowing that these holes would be hidden behind whatever is being fixed.

Any bright ideas for the future ?

Sorry guys...that was a fail. One wall is normal plasterboard and before trying to locate on the foil wall and I used that as a test. The Wizard found the screw just fine but the rare earth magnet couldn't care less and missed it completely.

I used a suction cup version - maybe not as high quality as your fitting, but has stayed on nicely without any drilling.

I had a small metal detector for pipes etc when I was working as a building surveyor mainly to check if there were steel lintels over openings. Whilst doing this in a house where there were some plumbers working, one of them came up to me and asked if I could run it up his leg!!

As I did so, off it went!!

Turned out he had a load of metal plates up his lower leg!

Phil

Back