Foil Board?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if people can follow this link, it's to a foil board I was thinking to have a go at building...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlSXmn_HCKd/
Do you think we could make one of those from just wood, with resin coating? I'm assuming the tricky bit would be getting joints strong enough to withstand the forces, especially where the mounting plate joins to the board?
Shaping ply seems to be the way to go for the foil etc, and we'd use an old foam board with light ply reinforcement to attach to so it could be used in waves (it'll float a bit to catch waves to get going).
780a0f672e4b84f09a0903a8c3759aa7.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts
Chris

Attachments

• 780a0f672e4b84f09a0903a8c3759aa7.jpg
    780a0f672e4b84f09a0903a8c3759aa7.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 237
Carbon fibre and "alloy" seems to be the standard, assuming you have thousands to throw away. I can't see why fibreglassed laminate wouldn't work, but the forces are going to be quite big. The worst that can happen is it breaks - it's not as if surfboards don't break even when they don't have foils.

How are your aerodynamic design skills? I wouldn't know where to begin!

Edit: I assume that you have been all over YouTube so you may have seen this: - this chap used an axe handle and some ply https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8hJtwyPc0

MikeG.":3say02de said:
That looks fun!
I think most of the fun on still water would be trying to get it going - once you'd done that, exhausting! There's a video here of a nicer method of propulsion, tho I was thinking of 1-2 foot waves - can you imagine what could go wrong falling off and being in the wave with one of those things?! When I see them near us I tell my lad we're moving further down the beach.
https://www.theinertia.com/surf/laird-h ... smerizing/
Could decapitate you! But definitely potential fun on small days.

Lazurus":3say02de said:
Had a similar thing on a kite surfing board, it was marine ply core with fibreglass skin over it.
There's a fair few do that here (without foils tho), it looks amazing but i find it hard enough to fly a kite let alone pull myself along with one.

Trainee neophyte":3say02de said:
How are your aerodynamic design skills? I wouldn't know where to begin!
That's part of my cunning plan - get the lad working on it. Tho he just poo pooed the idea, turns out he's a bit of a purist. Tbh I can't understand why they can work so incredibly well. I think I'm going to try anyway and enlist his help, and I know for sure if it works I wont see the thing except from a distance. And that video's a great start - I'd searched and found people making them but not showing results, how it worked, and certainly not fault-finding and improving the design.

Thanks all - if we get on to it we'll post here, I reckon a couple days making and fiddling and we'll be ready to try it out...

Chris152":3iltkv0i said:
That's part of my cunning plan - get the lad working on it. Tho he just poo pooed the idea, turns out he's a bit of a purist.

Just tell him, "We fear change", and then make occasional chicken noises - he'll come round quick enough.

Probably, I guess...

If it was me I’d put two threaded rod through the board, down the mast and through the fuselage so the mast is drawn into compression before it takes the hydrodynamic loads.

Is the board taking the weight of a person? If so and if I’m understanding this right, the board will be lifted clear of the water and the load on the board- mast and mast-fuselage joints will be the weight of a person static plus dynamic loads, not inconsiderable but fight aeroplanes used to be made substantially of wood, so it’s defiantly possible

Aidan

Back