Focus clamps - unsafe - reminder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Roger,

I have four of these, not from focus mind, been using them for 4 odd years now and never had a prob.

Soz

Signal

I have had a bit of trouble with the hand clamps which are seen everywhere on car boot sales and pound shops.I had a few of these holding a glue joint together. When i was walking past the job one of the clamps just shattered and a piece came very close to taking my eye out.
The speed that it happened was terrific and it shook me up quite a bit. I am usually a bit blase in the shop and not a nervous type but this made me think.

Twist the plungy bit, their essentially a modified mastic gun

Signal

a bit like these?

I have a few of the screwfix ones, find them ok, although they do (contrary to the blurb) mark the workpiece.

Espedair,

Thems the kiddies and you right they do mark the work, I cut some discs of hardboard an stuck them over the original plastic jaws.

Signal

Two different designs here, chaps.

Signal says that he 'Twists the plungy bit, their essentially a modified mastic gun " to release it.

The Screwfix ones you press a metal tab to release and apart from the marking of the wood are excellent value.

The one's that nearly took my finger off are the ones where you have to twist the metal bar...exactly as Signal says. An absolutely lousy design expounded in great detail in the earlier thread.

About 6 months before I discovered this forum I too fell victim to these Focus quick clamps. Same thing - tightening it up - bloody great bang and the handles flew together trapping fingers. Much bleeding and bruising (and choice language reserved for those *special* occasions) ensued. Beating the offending clamp to death with a 4lb lump hammer helped enormously though.

I got them because they were on special offer, but even if you see them for a penny each do not buy them, they are a dangerous waste of money.

V.

Roger,

Perhaps those of us concerned about this should band together to buy every one of your local trading standards people a set of these clamps each - it would surely only be a matter of time before they actually tried to use them for something, doubtless resulting in them radically changing their opinion of them! :twisted:

V.

Roger - I've used both the ones you mention and the Solo clamps. Your're right - the mastic gun type ones are lethal and went straight in the bin. The genuine Solo ones are actually pretty good. More clamping pressure than the QuickGrip type clamps and good throat capacity.
Cheers
Gidon

Back