Fobco Star Bench Drill - Head Assembly Clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macca_UK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just landed upon a Fobco Star and have a question about the head assembly clamp, or perhaps the lack of it...

I have a clamping lever that is part of the main head assembly casing, but I've seen pictures of other Fobo Stars and they have a separate split clamp that sits underneath the main head assembly,
I've also seen plenty of pictures like mine, where this clamp is missing.

I'm assuming the purpose of the second split clamp is to take the weight of the head assembly when you loosen the clamp on the head to rotate it (and to stop it falling).

So, am I actually missing a clamp or were some models just produced without one (it would seem a strange thing to remove it it originally had one fitted).

Cheers

Macca
s-l1600.jpg

It’s missing
Sometimes though people put it under the table but you haven’t one there too
It’s only really a chunk of steel bar with a 60mm( As I Remember ) hole through with a locking screw in the side
Ian

Thanks for the replies,

I'm not so concerned about it slipping, it's slightly rusted/stuck on at the moment and it took a few taps just to get it straight to the base.
I'll file it under the things to ignore for the moment.

One more question whilst I've got your attention, how is the small rotating depth gauge supposed to work?
You can zero it, but after a few plunges it moves off from the set zero point - Is it just a matter of messing with the bolt tightness?

Thanks

Macca

The bolt should be tight as you can get it…the friction is supplied by a spring washer under the cap…maybe remove the bolt and clean out old grease that will be there carefully replace the spring washer and place the cap on and tighten the bolt up..

I only use the depth gauge to set the depth stop rather than on repeat holes. Touch off on the piece and set to zero mm, remove workpiece and lower to correct depth, set depth stop for repeat holes.

The bolt should be tight as you can get it…the friction is supplied by a spring washer under the cap…maybe remove the bolt and clean out old grease that will be there carefully replace the spring washer and place the cap on and tighten the bolt up..
Thanks for that - I'll take a look at the weekend

Back