Fobco restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

my name is Shareef and I've been a member for a while but don't really post too much. This is my first project post (and probably my last about tool restorations after the time this has taken!). :) I thought I'd at least document it and provide some info for anyone else following the same path. I did get Tony's guide from lathes.co.uk but I found some of it confusing and hard to follow so I wanted to expand on some details.

I had been looking for a pillar drill for a while and had followed the posts on this forum about trying to find a Fobco or Meddings. I wasn't having much luck on eBay and thought most were over priced. Then back in perhaps Feb I found an advert in an online machine classified board. I went to see a chap in Nuneaton who had a barn full of old machinery from drills, to lathes, to milling machines. He'd been collecting them and thought it was about time to start getting rid of a few items. It was quite a sight as the barn was completely full - I'm talking no space to walk through and shelves stacked high. Couldn't believe it. Anyway, I picked up a pair of Fobco's as that's all I could fit in the back of my Yaris. :D Defo the wrong car for transporting tools!

I've completely stripped them and started from scratch. There was lots of useful info on these forums that helped me along the way including painting and bearings. I've started a little Tumblr block to store some pictures and will be adding to those and detailing some of the steps in further posts. If you have any questions about the renovation steps then just shout and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks.

http://fobco-restoration.tumblr.com/

Thanks.

Not sure about what is being sold as it was 6 months ago. But the advert was on http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk and I have his email address if you want to PM me. I don't want to put it up here and generate him a load of spam. I'm pretty sure there's no way he could have shifted the lot by now so there should be jewels to find.

Back