FM switchover - Coalition steamrolling us ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Please take a look at this page from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport website. Vaizey seems intent on stuffing DAB down our throats despite many of the logical and sensible reasons not to go down that route.

There is a link on the page to a report and a request for comment. Please if you have the time read it, comment and write to your MP if you think this is a daft idea.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/media_releases/9176.aspx

Please drum up as much support as you can.

RogerS":3b9y182q said:
Vaizey seems intent on stuffing DAB down our throats despite many of the logical and sensible reasons not to go down that route.

Out of interest, what are these reasons?

You can read all about it here

The whole thing is built on a non-existent pie-in-the-sky business case.

They argue that DAB gives people more choice. They already have that choice. They an go out and buy a DAB radio today. So where is the benefit? Those who want choice already have it. So why force people to spend money as over 100 million radio sets have to be replaced?

DAB is a lousy and old-fashioned technology.

Several countries in Europe and Scandinavia have announced their intention to abandon DAB.

I know audiophiles have long disliked DAB saying FM is much better. I prefer DAB as I get superb reception on its short aerial whereas FM here needs and outdoor Yagi (preferably on a rotator) to get hiss free reception. I'm not interested in music and all I really want is Radio 4 and some Radio 3 as easily and clearly as possible - DAB does this with the added advantage of a screen full of useful text on the broadcast, easy recording/series recording on SD and live rewind etc.

I think the first DAB station started in 1995 - FM is a lot. lot older than that. DAB+ was released in 2007 - but there are no broadcasters in the UK yet so far as I know

Anyone else counted the number of FM/AM radios in their house/car, and costed their replacement with DAB rubbish? Looks like at least £400 for our household, to buy technology that will be superseded in only a few years, and which no other country in the world uses.

Like the 4G scandal, this STINKS.

Hi,

And don't forget to replace your car as well, thats going to be more than £400.

DAB sucks its just a way of getting more money by selling smaller bits of the bandwith, more choice less quality.
You wouldnt put up with a poorer picture for more channels.

And whats the battery life on a DAB set not long so they aren't "green" either.

Pete

RogerP":ibtf4408 said:
I know audiophiles have long disliked DAB saying FM is much better. I prefer DAB as I get superb reception on its short aerial whereas FM here needs and outdoor Yagi (preferably on a rotator) to get hiss free reception. I'm not interested in music and all I really want is Radio 4 and some Radio 3 as easily and clearly as possible - DAB does this with the added advantage of a screen full of useful text on the broadcast, easy recording/series recording on SD and live rewind etc.

I think the first DAB station started in 1995 - FM is a lot. lot older than that. DAB+ was released in 2007 - but there are no broadcasters in the UK yet so far as I know

And long may you continue to do so, Rog. It's all about choice at the end of the day. Thing is we already have the choice...if you want DAB you can go out and buy it and yet the Govt want to force us all to chuck away our radios and waste money buying new ones....assuming you can get DAB, of course.

I've looked at the reports and even gone back to the PWC report and the entire business case is hollow.

dab here buffers every five minutes, Very very old sony radio in the workshop is much better.

Mind you, we cant even get broadband here. or a landline phone that you can hear people down.....

Racers":lf9ska6q said:
You wouldnt put up with a poorer picture for more channels.
Most Sky subscribers do.

Personally I like DAB as it gives me much more choice of radio station.
I can listen to Planet Rock, which plays music I mostly like or listen to Radio 5 Live without AM noise.

Personally, I like DAB. My station choice is wider, signal clearer, track listing display; all good.

BUT, I chose to buy a DAB radio. Government intervention is different...

Precisely, Scouse. I' ve now had a chance to dip into the business case on which they are (desperately) trying to justify the switch. It doesn't stack up.

You didn't expect a report on technology advantages to get in the way of vested interests by any chance did you?

No different to the selling hype for high speed broadband, 3/4G mobile phone systems etc., why let an in depth survey come to the conclusion that the likelyhood of the system ever being completed due to incomplete penitration in all areas inside the life of the technology or the lack of world standard compliance get in the way of the comercial interests that will be quite happy with the 60-70 % sales penitration.

I like DAB to get bbc 6 music and radio 4 extra - however the quality is worse than FM. It is also very difficult to get a DAB separates for a hifi - the cheapest is a teac at £150.00

I think that DAB will be superseded by internet radio very very soon, much great choice and generally better quality

grafter":38c584g0 said:
I think that DAB will be superseded by internet radio very very soon, much great choice and generally better quality

Doesn't help much with the car and van though :roll: 2 out of our 3 vehicles don't have DAB and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the FM signal whereas the DAB is poor where I am.

I'd be really p***ed off if I lost freeview after spending ££s to upgrade the ariels. I don't want to be forced into satelite and won't subscribe to sky.

Internet streaming isn't really a viable proposition for those of us who have no access to fast speeds via cable. It's bad enough already to watch BT and Virgin etc advertising regular doubling of speed :mrgreen: :evil:

Bob

grafter":wuob2vxk said:
I like DAB to get bbc 6 music and radio 4 extra - however the quality is worse than FM. It is also very difficult to get a DAB separates for a hifi - the cheapest is a teac at £150.00

Maybe...but who wants choice? Most people listen at best to no more than four channels. My experience of internet radio in the workshop is a mixed bag of dropouts and duff quality!

RogerS":14r7v5mk said:
grafter":14r7v5mk said:
I think that DAB will be superseded by internet radio very very soon, much great choice...

Maybe...but who wants choice?.
Seriously?!! :shock:

You might not want choice and only listen to 4 stations, but I bet the 4 you listen to aren't the same 4 your neighbours listen to or the same 4 I listen to etc, etc, etc.
I think Internet radio is a great idea because everyone can find something they like, rather than putting up with what the big corporations want to feed us.

I live more or less on top of a hill, Radio Gloucester FM is very poor at my property despite living with 6 miles of the nearest transmitter.
I can receive it well in the car in Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Oxford & Somerset.
I can also receive all those local transmitters well at home on the same receivers that can't get Gloucester.

Looking to DAB for a solution for all round contiguous reception would appear to bring on even less likelihood of it ever being achieved. (We do have 2 DAB capable sets.)

This BBC article just about convinces me of that.

It shows only 50% of Gloucestershire covered by its local DAB radio when it's launched but 80% of Hereforshire and a lot of Worcestershire will be fine if they want to listen to Gloucester chat.

Guess if you live in east anglia and don't happen to live behind a tall building everything will be fine.

CHJ":2s5s7a92 said:
I live more or less on top of a hill, Radio Gloucester FM is very poor at my property despite living with 6 miles of the nearest transmitter.
I can receive it well in the car in Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Oxford & Somerset.
I can also receive all those local transmitters well at home on the same receivers that can't get Gloucester.
Looking to DAB for a solution for all round contiguous reception would appear to bring on even less likelihood of it ever being achieved. (We do have 2 DAB capable sets.)
This BBC article just about convinces me of that.
I'm probably on the other side of Gloucester to you (south of the City just off the Stroud Road). FM reception here is poor without an external aerial so portable sets are no use for FM. But my Pure Evoke DAB gets a huge maximum signal reading and all stations are crystal clear.

It's a pity Radio Gloucestershire is not on DAB but anyway I'd probably only use it for local traffic reports when there's adverse weather conditions etc. As long as I can get Radio 4 and some Radio 3 hiss free I'm happy. I don't listen to music so audiophile quality does not concern me hence DAB is my choice.

cambournepete":1jk6nv1r said:
RogerS":1jk6nv1r said:
grafter":1jk6nv1r said:
I think that DAB will be superseded by internet radio very very soon, much great choice...

Maybe...but who wants choice?.
Seriously?!! :shock:

You might not want choice and only listen to 4 stations, but I bet the 4 you listen to aren't the same 4 your neighbours listen to or the same 4 I listen to etc, etc, etc.
I think Internet radio is a great idea because everyone can find something they like, rather than putting up with what the big corporations want to feed us.

That's not what the RAJAR listening figures show.

Back