Flying Goblet - ** Not Flying Anymore**

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 5 in the Flying goblet workshop and air traffic control is at Defcon 5 will now progress from pine offcuts to something a little tastier, also tried sanding through the grits this time and the finish was much better will attempt a thin proper looking goblet now, my son asked if this was a chess piece :oops: Sharp tools also made a massive difference.. Mike this was 7 inches so im getting bigger

flask.jpg

Tony,

Nice one! Your goblet making skills are coming on nicely. Considering that was made from a pine offcut, you got a very nice finish, as Pine is not the easiest of woods to turn, and may go someway towards explaining your "flying" problems.

Early on in my turning days, I tried making a few things out of pine offcuts, and was getting disheartened that I couldn't get the tools to cut cleanly. Then I tried using Ash and Beech, and I suddenly found that I was a having much more success.

Mike will probably know more, but I think that the pine is actually too soft, and so tends to tear instead of cutting cleanly, unless the tool is razor sharp.

Keep going mate - you'll soon be up to Mike's standard at this rate! :D

In the continuing saga of the flying goblet, turned some Iroko last night got the shape of the goblet ok and then decided to be a clever dick and try and improve the finish just that tiny little bit more, promptly snapping it in two, glued it back together and presented it for inspection, only to be told it didn't look finished :twisted: Woke up early this morning and made a bung tidied it up between centres and hey presto you can barely see the join....

goblet.jpg

Back