Fly tying box/station so far

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Started this some weeks ago but it has been a stop-start affair trying to source bits.
I have the trays made but yet to put the dividers in.
Fly tying box 4.jpg

The fly inlay at the top was provided by Quentin Smith at QJS Marquetry, helpful guy and will make anything you want after some discussion about your design.
Scraping the top and had a serious tear-out where there was some short grain, grrrr.
Fly tying box 5.jpg

The compartments and the section front left flips out.
Fly tying box 6.jpg

And is where the fly-tying vice will be kept, it is then clamped to the little platform for use.
Fly tying box 7.jpg

The two top trays out, yet to have the dividers fitted.
Fly tying box 8.jpg

Bottom trays out.
I'm going to the fridge now, where's my bottle opener?

Attachments

• Fly tying box 4.jpg
    Fly tying box 4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Fly tying box 5.jpg
    Fly tying box 5.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Fly tying box 6.jpg
    Fly tying box 6.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Fly tying box 7.jpg
    Fly tying box 7.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Fly tying box 8.jpg
    Fly tying box 8.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 205
I really like that :) Makes me remember that my kit needs a proper home instead of the rubbish "temporary" box I made years ago :oops:
I haven't fished for quite a while but it's on my retirement list.

Did you draw up the design or from proprietory plans?
What did you line the tray bottoms with?

cheers
Bob

Lons":2pizv10l said:
I really like that :) Makes me remember that my kit needs a proper home instead of the rubbish "temporary" box I made years ago :oops:

cheers
Bob

Bob,
I got the rough layout from the intranet to see what was involved and basically built the box, cut the top off and am in the process of constructing the inside, just cut bits to fit really. The bottoms are as yet unlined, they are 3mm birch ply, I am undecided as to what I am going to line them with,,suggestions would be gratefully received.

andersonec":1mb4w5zz said:
Bob,
I got the rough layout from the intranet to see what was involved and basically built the box, cut the top off and am in the process of constructing the inside, just cut bits to fit really. The bottoms are as yet unlined, they are 3mm birch ply, I am undecided as to what I am going to line them with,,suggestions would be gratefully received.

I suppose it doesn't need lining if smooth and maybe varnished though I'd be tempted to put a white laminate / formica surface on the vice table as a background to the flies. I saw a nice arrangement many years ago where the guy had done that but had another fold up backstand in white for that reason and it also had a simple streched wire arrangement for hanging the flies whilst the varnish dried.

I presume you'll keep your capes and feathers etc. in packets and you've made the trays deep enough to hold small plastic "sorting boxes".

Have you incorporated any cedar for moth prevention?

My box is in the loft - got the juices flowing now #-o so must dig it out. If my wife sees it she might notice her "lost" bottles of nail varnish. :oops: :wink:

Bob

Lons":3bipz1x0 said:

cheers
Bob

It was on mine too Bob.
But now I just can't manage when I hook a Big 'un!

Get some fishing in, while you can.. :D

That'd never hold all my kit! :shock:

I'd need to build something the size of a medium Chest of Drawers! :roll:

Yet another slope to beware of.................

It was on mine too Bob.
But now I just can't manage when I hook a Big 'un!
Get some fishing in, while you can..

:lol: :lol: :lol: Never did hook many big uns anyway :? Trouble is John, I have too many interests. Got my first game of golf yesterday in 6 months, don't do enough woodworking or photography never mind the fishing :(

That'd never hold all my kit!
I'd need to build something the size of a medium Chest of Drawers!
Yet another slope to beware of.................

:lol: Just realised mine isn't too far from that either. Would certainly need more than one box.
Did / do you go around with one eye on likely "useful" materials? Wifies sewing kit, wool samples, varnish, wire, tinsel you name it. Most of which never gets used but kept just in case :roll:
Depends whether you fish small nymphs and dry / wet flies or use lures of course and salmon / seatrout flies are an art in themselves.

Bob

Latest posts

Back