fly press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
does anybody have a small fly press in their workshop? I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help with.

Thanks

I don't, but I have used and or set a few if that might help.

Roy.

Roy/t8

My question is regarding whether a fly press may be suitable to do a particular task. I am trying to make an item which basically consists of a piece of 1 or 2mm wire/rod/etc that is flattened at the end to make a sort of simple spoon shape, about 5-10mm long. There are a couple of processes afterwards- bending and shaping that I am ok with. Material is not that important, but it would need to retain its shape afterwards, and not be too easy to bend- commercial versions are generally stainless steel. If the spoon was just a flat piece 5-10mm long, that would be fine. If something needed tempering, it should be easy enough to do so on something so small.

I have seen small fly presses go cheap enough, and from what i have read I think that they would do the job, but would appreciate the thoughts of somebody that would know for sure. In terms of scale, I am looking to make about a hundred or so to start with.

Thanks
Mark

Frankly I doubt it would be possible with a small press.

Roy.

Certainly. I would suggest that you used the press as a 'second op' machine. Heat the component, preform it, ie, belt it with a hammer, then finish in the press. It really depends on how you define 'small' though.

Roy.

A fly press would probably do it, need a hard tool to ensure repeatability though... how much does it need to be flattened?
Depends how fast you pull the handle ;)

Bending the wire is easy.
If theres a good number to make, you'd want a fairly decent setup, but the press itself (with the relevant tooling) could be used to cut, flatten and bend the rods.

Well it's sturdily made but the info doesn't give much of a clue as to its size. E-Mail him and get some info, the 'gape' will give a clue as to physical size.

Roy.

If you are only looking at a diameter of around 2mm and a flat portion of around 10mm then a small fly press would be ideal.

Should be able to sort out a basic tool easily enough. Mounted to a die set to keep everything in line.

They do come up on eBay occasionally. I could only find one as an example at the moment but that’s in the states.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRODUCTO-...ltDomain_0&hash=item20ad4e37a3#ht_4105wt_1110

Chris.

Cant see from the picture if it has the fly weight with it or not.
Useful info for those that are interested/don't know...

http://www.flypress.com/manual_sizes.htm

Ive a Sweeny & Blocksidge No2 sat in my garage, used to use for bending bits of 12mm steel bar into large radi. Sat for about 18month doing nothing.

Hi Marcros,
You say "Material is not that important, but it would need to retain its shape afterwards, and not be too easy to bend- commercial versions are generally stainless steel."

Stainless steel (depending on its recipe) will be tough to flatten - what are your possible alternatives? Does it need to be rust proof?

Richard,

The material does not need to be rustproof. I thought that stainless would be very tough to flatten. The application is a beekeeping tool- precision in that it is small and used to pick/scoop up small larvae (on the flattened part), but the tolerances are not that critical- one of these tools where you get the smallest one that you can. The finish needs to look nice- shiny or coloured etc, but I can worry about this depending on material.

Alternatives are open- I had wondered about brass, but don't know whether it would hold its shape. I don't know enough about steels to make a call on those, but at least they can be heat treated. Aluminium sounds like it would struggle to keep shape.

Any suggestions?

TIA
MArk

Brass work hardens, but would be easier for the flattening operation. Might be worth a test piece to see if it meets requirements.

Can you upload or link to a picture of one?

Heres a thought, buy some TIG welding rods, cut the ends off....
They come with a portion of the wire flattened, where the grade is stamped onto them.
Available in stainless, various grades, 1.6mm, 2.4mm and 3.2 diameters.
They are a meter or so long, so would be a tad wastefull, but could save the need for a press, just a basic bending fork.....

I can send you a few samples if this sounds a viable option......

Back