Fly box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Just made this for the chap where I get most of my timber from, he goes Salmon fishing and wanted a box for the overflow of flies he's got. It's Ash with Walnut lipping.

Does anyone know where I can get some pewter type flies with a flat back which would be stuck on the lid as a small embellishment, I've now got another one to do.

Andy

Attachments

• Fly box 4.jpg
    Fly box 4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Fly box 3.jpg
    Fly box 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Fly box 2.jpg
    Fly box 2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • Fly box 1.jpg
    Fly box 1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,308
Looks great Andy, very smart. :) I'm sure he'll be really pleased. What did you use for the interior for the flies?

Do you have in WIP photos?

cmwatt":uc4jomy4 said:
What did you use for the interior for the flies? Do you have in WIP photos?

No WIP photo's, maybe with the next one.

The lining is stuff called 'Ethafoam', it is self adhesive and comes on rolls and there is another called 'Plastazote Self Adhesive Foam' which, I think, is precut.

Andy

Very nice Andy - nice choice of veneer for the lid. Good clean lines and crisp workmanship.

Best

Ian

Alan Jones":aaq9c3kb said:
not kean on the hinges though

The hinges are solid brass and not plated because the box is intended for outdoor use I didn't want them to have any adverse reactions if they got wet, plus they were a bit cheaper and not intended to be on show in the house.

Took some finding as well, finally found some on a site 'EA supplies' based in the UK but the hinges were posted from the States. They also do the Soss hinges, got a few of those and considered using them but I am saving them for another time.

Andy

Andy

Very nice looking box.
However it is going to get very wet at times so is it wise to use veneer instead of solid wood?

Stew

DIY Stew":lfezrta3 said:
it is going to get very wet at times so is it wise to use veneer instead of solid wood? Stew

Considered that Stew, so finished it with Osmo UV protecter, Only trouble with veneer on the sides is when you split the box you will have the edge of the ply on show and also at the base.

Found a supplier for the Pewter flies, http://www.pewterpins.net/ well made if anyone wants some embellishments, only trouble is a minimum order of 50 squids, still at £1.50 each they should last a few years.

Andy

:D Nothing wrong with the brass Andy, just felt that a beautifull box like that would have benefitted from inset hinges rather than face mounted ones and slotted screws rather than the pozis, not a critisism ,just personal preference :)

Alan Jones":rc6gwjcc said:
:D Nothing wrong with the brass Andy, just felt that a beautifull box like that would have benefitted from inset hinges rather than face mounted ones and slotted screws rather than the pozis, not a critisism ,just personal preference :)

Thanks Alan, All taken on board and will store the information for future use.

Andy

bosshogg":lryah1pl said:
Why not go for a silhouette of a tied fly, in veneer, let into the lid of the box :idea: ...bosshogg :)

Too technical for me, unless I could get them made, now there's a thought :idea:

Andy

DIY Stew":28cwprb6 said:
Andy

Very nice looking box.
However it is going to get very wet at times so is it wise to use veneer instead of solid wood?

Stew
Nothing wrong with using veneer provided the glue is totally waterproof - Rob

Back