Flu jab

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your post is like most of yours, as I said previously its a scatter gun of misinformation and logical fallacies making it difficult to tie you down on anything.

Perhaps a journalist writes more clearly than me, then. Of all places, The Guardian has an article saying some of what I have failed to get across: Science: the religion that must not be questioned | Henry Gee

It concludes:

"Why is this? The answer, I think, is that those who are scientists, or who pretend to be scientists, cling to the mantle of a kind of religious authority. And as anyone who has tried to comment on religion has discovered, there is no such thing as criticism. There is only blasphemy."

And that's in The Guardian, so it must be true.

I was trying to make 2 points:

1. There is a tendency to treat the high priests of science as gods amongst men, who must never be questioned, and whose commandments must be followed. NB this tendency is among non - scientists, and used as a method of control by politicians and journalists.​
2. From wikipedia: "Sacred cow is an idiom, a figurative reference to cattle in religion and mythology. A figurative sacred cow is a figure of speech for something considered immune from question or criticism, especially unreasonably so."​
Whilst all science is the "search for truth", as much as it can be, some truth is self evident, and can not be questioned without incurring the wrath of the heirarchy. Athropogenic Climate Change would be one example, there are certainly others.​

Please note that I am not saying that either of these points are proven, immutable, scientifically researched hypotheses with peer-reviewed, double blind experimental evidence to back them up. It is a tendency, amongst journalism and laypeople in general (again with the religious terminology) to ascribe infallibility and ineffability to the great god "Science", and to treat it's high priests as beyond reproach or question. Not to say that some members of the clergy can't be defrocked if they break the rules.

TN - you really haven't taken on board all the excellent points made by Robin and others. I would have thought that your horse was well and truly dead by now, given the amount of flogging you've been giving it.

No, those are the minority if course.
However the blood antibodies decline over time (with all vaccines - think typhoid boosters etc.). 20 years is good but some will need a second if they have it young.

The immune system is best thought of as a statistical system, not an absolute one. So although the NHS has (rightly) chosen to generally give a single shot, it's not *always* the case. I was really only picking up the absolutist part of the statement...in general I completely agree with you!

Regarding vaccinations, I had previously mentioned Shingles Vaccination for over 70's as recommended by the NHS.
I have just discovered that a Pneumonia Vaccination also exists, new babies have it and its suggested for over 65, diabetes asthma and other conditions, if you search for Pneumonia Injection you will find the NHS site with full information and by the way I am not linked to the medical profession.
Hope this is useful.

So stuffing your face every day with too many calories won't make you fat ? Wow...pass me another Mars bar or two !

Roger...

NO IT WON'T! It's WHAT you eat, not HOW MUCH!

Also, I resent the implication that I 'stuff my face', and I don't see the need for that remark, unless it was meant to insult me.

Following 'guidelines' has resulted in my contracting Type 2 diabetes, whilst wondering why I couldn't lose weight, despite two or three miles a day of brisk walking. (Earlier in my life, seven miles a day of jogging shot my knees, and I had to have them replaced, (2010/12) so jogging is no longer wise.) All I did 'learn' was what I alreay knew, from teachings at Pitt Street PT school in Portsmouth. Exercise does little for weight loss. It tones muscles, and bulks them with denser lean tissue. To a certain extent, dependent on what you do, it improves the cardio-vascular system; no dispute there.

Now, since I was ill for most of last year with cellulitis, and had to learn to walk again, exercise is now OOTQ.
I tried low carb. I have lost three stones since Christmas last year.

What do I 'stuff my face' with'?
Meat, (including poultry), fish, berries, cheese, butter, eggs and I cook with lard or butter.
I no longer eat starchy root veggies, pasta, bread, pastry, cakes or any processed food. I rarely eat fruits that aren't berries.

SUGAR is banned in my household, so you can keep your Mars Bars and Snickers. Neither of which I used to eat anyhow, if it wasn't Christmas, when I preferred Toblerone!

Okay, I fork out money for grass fed meat and other organic foods, but then I don't have to read labels, other than 'in-date' labels. In other words I eat natural foods, the foods you can find in the wild, if you have to look for them. (Never saw a loaf of bread hanging on a tree or bush! Of course not! Bread is a processed food!)

Now that my weight is gradually coming down I feel better than I have for a number of years. Yes I am still losing weight and have a couple of stones to go. But I am getting there. My problem now is finding money for new clothes! As soon as I get the okay from my Doctor I shall start walking again, and have already started to belly up to the bench once more.

I don't need to prove anything to anyone, and I am just content losing the weight I put on through eating whole-grains, sugary fruit and vegetables, cakes, and pastries as recommended by the Hairy-Bikers and Graham Turner. Excellent cooks, but NOT nutritionalists.

In case you are wondering about cholesterol, well I am in my eighties now, and so far no problem with my 'blood-work' and my diabetes read-outs show reversed symptoms. Thus I stick with my 'diet'. (Life-style) I don't need to go back to 'Normal eating', because if I did, I would immediately begin to put on weight yet again.
I drink plenty of water, but cheat when I have coffee and tea. Mind you this does mean I can take double cream with my coffee!

Now if you will excuse me I am going to have my Sunday fry-up, sans fried bread and hash browns.

Man is the only animal smart enough to MAKE his own food; and stupid enough to eat it!

John

Please don't get me started on the food pyramid. My granddaughter is just coming to the end of her training as a nurse. She knows only what she has been taught of course but you should hear her argument for the the anti-fat position. 60 years of misinformation yet the powers that be will not admit their mistake despite the prevalence of obesity. Not everyone is an idle glutton as MS Hopkins would have you believe.

John
I guess its tough for the Medical profession and Scientists to admit that they have been blindly advocating deadly Nutritional advice for decades and have been responsible for Worldwide Metabolic Disease , chronic conditions and deaths from Diabetes, coronary heart disease, Dementia and many other conditions.
We have known about the real cause of Metabolic disease for decades ever since Dr Joseph Kraft but it has taken 40+ years for the truth to be published widely .
This nutritional and medical revolution is coming but it is too late for me and others who have had undiagnosed Metabolic syndrome for the past 20 years. I had to collapse with a blood sugar level of 38mmol/L before my useless Doctor realised I was a Diabetic.
Anyone genuinely interested in Nutrition and how what they eat influences their health and want a simple ,straightforward explanation should watch the short 10 minute talk given to the House of Commons by Zoe Harcombe

I'm not even going to bother trying to explain to either of you. There is only so much disinformation on this thread already.

But if you've found a way to improve your health, weight and lifestyle John then good for you. It has nothing at all to do with " 60 years of misinformation yet the powers that be will not admit their mistake despite the prevalence of obesity." But if it floats your boat then fair enough.

But in the interests of sanity....just how many peer-reviewed research papers has Ms Harcombe written ? That well-known medical researcher. What ? She hasn't actually got any medical qualifications ? She read economics and maths at Uni.

And, no, John ...I wasn't referring to you re stuffing ones face. It was a rhetorical statement.

I'm out of here.

Well, my horse died, so not much more to say, other than well done you for finding a system to get your health in hand. It would have been nice if a medical professional was there to do it with you, but they are busy people, and can't all be spending their time increasing patients' health and wellbeing - there's a war on, doncha know.

but they are busy people, and can't all be spending their time increasing patients' health and wellbeing - there's a war on, doncha know.

What a load of tosh TN. :rolleyes:

In the past couple of months both my wife and daughter have had important surgery and have been seen when necessary, contacted by 'phone often and had at least as much attention and service as they would have had there not been "a war on". I also have several other instances with close friends with the same results, one going through it at this minute. Also with a number of family members in front line roles within the NHS we're fairly well informed, unlike some sunning themselves among the olive groves perhaps. ;):)

What a load of tosh TN. :rolleyes:

In the past couple of months both my wife and daughter have had important surgery and have been seen when necessary, contacted by 'phone often and had at least as much attention and service as they would have had there not been "a war on". I also have several other instances with close friends with the same results, one going through it at this minute. Also with a number of family members in front line roles within the NHS we're fairly well informed, unlike some sunning themselves among the olive groves perhaps. ;):)
So you think it normal and acceptable and reasonable that someone has to go outside of the health care system to improve their basic health wrt being diabetic? Should that be the standard way to stop having type 2 diabetes - you rummage on the internet and work it out for yourself? Thousands (possibly millions) are doing just that because worldwide the health systems haven't worked it out. Fasting and diet are hugely important factors in managing what is an epidemic in western societies. Why isn't the healthcare system doing anything about it?

The conspiracy theory weirdos think that the health care system is actually an illness care system: they want you as sick as possible, for as long as possible, taking as many expensive drugs as possible. Obviously that is just conspiracy theory madness, because the NHS is the most fabulous, caring system (Jeremy Clarkson voice)....in the world.

If you break break a leg the NHS is pretty darn marvelous. For other stuff, you seem to be on your own. Why is that?

I admit to taking the p*ss over there "being a war on" - irony at its best. Although aren't we at war against Covid19? Lots of military talk about "beating the enemy".

People, I've deleted 2 posts that were discriminatory toward less fortunate folk than most here. One other post was deleted as it quoted deleted content although it would've been welcome in other circumstances.
Please think before you post, no matter how detached you may be from the present.

It was not my intention to be discriminatory towards anyone merely repeating a common saying.

Anyway as I said, The bullies jumped all over my previous comments, accusing me of hijacking the thread even though I was on topic and telling me this is a woodwork forum, not for my views even though on topic.
But I see that without my input the thread has gone further off topic and still no wood working tips.
My last comment was deleted so I just returned make my point that arguing on the internet is like running into a brick wall.

And here is an explanation why.

https://www.theexceptionalskills.com/arguing-on-the-internet/

In a similar vein Artie,

Supposed Mark Twain quote:
“Never argue with an I d i o t. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Spacing to get around the cyber nanny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back