Flu jab

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs Q and I were offered ours by the G.P nearly a month ago. Probably because she is medically very vulnerable. In and out in under two minutes each - we went separately for complicated reasons.
M-in-Law, 96, in a sheltered accomodation complex, had hers four weeks ago too, from a mobile, covid-aware, highly efficient nursing team. They innoculated 42 'flats' in double-quick time.

Sam

I know that those with underlying health issues should at least consider a flue jab this year and every year. However, for the rest of us, am I not correct in thinking that flue is caused by a virus?

In which case, the precautions we are taking to reduce the spread of COV 19 virus will also reduce significantly the spread of the Flue virus.

Am I missing something?

Phil

In theory. I have to say that, despite extreme caution, distancing, washing my hands so often that my glove size has dropped by two, I have still managed to pick up two mild colds.

Had an appointment at Boots a couple of weeks back for me and my wife. Phone call the day before to say no vaccine, may be available by the end of October. Hancock saying “there is no shortage of flu vaccine”. Is it any wonder nobody trusts anything a government minister says?

The anticipation of the pain is far worse than the event.
I alway look the other way though. ;)
Many moons ago I gave blood, partly to try to beat my fear of needles (I got to forty three before they stopped me because of prescription drugs). I couldn't watch and always looked away. This did me no favours on the first occasion as the blood bag on the bed next to mine fell off and voided its contents all over the beds and floor.
If you've not had blood samples taken from the groin I can assure you the anticipation is not worse than the event.:cry:

Folks,
Everyone should really try to get flu jab each year. Yes its a gamble on what strains will turn into an epidemic and in our COVID-19 situation it’s especially important. If you get flu and needs treatment it will put pressure on our NHS system. The jabs are available from Boots, Tesco etc. My company pays for it in my case. If your GP offers it, please take it up. Our children will be getting it from school in next few weeks.
My sister-in-law is a GP and I have friends at the front lines in hospitals, so I get to hear reports on the number of cases and it’s side effects. It’s not pleasant.

Had an appointment at Boots a couple of weeks back for me and my wife. Phone call the day before to say no vaccine, may be available by the end of October. Hancock saying “there is no shortage of flu vaccine”. Is it any wonder nobody trusts anything a government minister says?
My wife couldn't get hers ............. as there is a shortage of vaccine. The local surgeries prioritised the groups to get it ......... as there is a shortage of vaccine. Apparently the powers that be (for some reason best known to themselves) didn't foresee an increased demand.

In and out of my doctors surgery in 5 minutes last Saturday. They sent me a text saying I was eligible, I called and made an appointment - great efficiency from the NHS.

I know that those with underlying health issues should at least consider a flue jab this year and every year. However, for the rest of us, am I not correct in thinking that flue is caused by a virus?

In which case, the precautions we are taking to reduce the spread of COV 19 virus will also reduce significantly the spread of the Flue virus.
Am I missing something?
Phil

That should certainly be the case yes but the reason for the mass flu inoculation is the same in that they are trying to protect NHS ICU bed capacity which would be stressed at this time of year anyway under normal circumstances. That is the datum by which eventually all the Covid precautions are eventually measured against, incidentally the UK has 4000 ICU beds (+ nightingales) whereas Germany has 20,000.

Am I missing something?

Phil
Flu is caused by a virus, yes, and you'd expect the social distancing that some of us are doing to some degree would reduce the spread of all viruses.

It is believed that flu viruses have a slightly different mechanism of spread from Covid virus - children can act as superspreaders for flu for example. I think that the different mechanism is accounted for - at least in part - by how much pre/asymptomatic spread there is.

I had my flu jab all booked and it got cancelled - booked again for a few days' time.

PS - channelling MikeG I'll just say that a flue is a chimney :D

My fishing buddy has the flu jab every year and gets flu every year, I don't have the jab and stay healthy, he is over 80 I am in my mid 70's make of that what you will.

My fishing buddy has the flu jab every year and gets flu every year, I don't have the jab and stay healthy, he is over 80 I am in my mid 70's make of that what you will.
He probuably had a bad cold, which is what most people call flu.
Believe me when you get flu you know about it!
only with hindsight are you able to distinguish colds from flu.

I'm pondering whether to have one or not. I'm 69 and have never bothered as my general health seems quite good.
However, I can second what lurker said about flu. I had flu badly forty two years ago. I barely ate anything for a fortnight, had a raging fever, pounding headache, cough, then got a secondary infection. After two weeks I'd lost a stone in weight, something I could ill afford to do in those days. It took a further six weeks to fully recover.

Nigel.

Back