Flu jab

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Had mine yesterday.
Very efficient, in and away in less than 5 minutes.

Assume all other wrinklies on here, have done the same?

Not yet. My GP only has the jab available (except for "emergency" cases) from 29th onwards. My appointment is 3rd Nov.

P.S. I'm flabby, NOT wrinkly :)

Not yet. My GP only has the jab available (except for "emergency" cases) from 29th onwards. My appointment is 3rd Nov.

P.S. I'm flabby, NOT wrinkly :)
Is it free at source out there?
All over 65s here should get a GP letter advising them to book an appointment.

Members of the Civil Service are eligible for a free jab regardless of age, don't know if that applies to anyone here?

I saw on ITV news a few days ago a drive through set up in Devon somewhere - they were a little late, we had the same system on Stithians showground (which is a fair size, holding the largest one day agricultural show in the Country) the week before.
Several surgeries working together, they did thousands. Drive in, stop, jab and out. Brilliant.

It was good of you to let them know.

May I ask why you declined?
They request it in the letter,
The reason I declined is because I have been getting along fine without it all my life, I lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle and eat well and have some confidence in my natural immune system.
I also have some concerns about the contents of said vaccine.

Is it free at source out there?
All over 65s here should get a GP letter advising them to book an appointment.

No lurker, it isn't. Completely different (and much more complicated than NHS). In short you pay a monthly "Health Insurance premium". If you qualify (in this case for the flu jab) then it's "free" because the Health Insurance company includes such stuff within your basic premium calculation - i.e. no charge direct to me because when the GP submits her bill - direct to the Health Insurance company - they say, in effect "this is a poor 75-year old pipper, it's included".

As are many other things BTW, but as said, it IS very complicated, so best we don't go any further on the topic - it would bore - and confuse! - everyone to death!

I got a text message from the doctors saying that I was eligible. I called and asked why because I am 40 with no underlying health conditions- apparently it was an error, as I suspected .

I booked to get one at my local pharmacist as I do each year. (I pay for it). It was a week or two before the widespread recommendation that it is important, and I do it to try to avoid being off work for a week with (actual) flu. For 12 quid, I think it is a good insurance policy. I had travel vaccines for Nigeria and they were hundreds, so 12 is nothing.

When I got there I was told that many people don't qualify for a free one so the surgeries were sending people to the pharmacies. The pharmacies, however were not able to get any additional allocation of the vaccine, so were struggling to administer it. When I went in, they were honouring booked appointments but not taking any more. At the time boots weren't taking bookings for the under 65s. It may have changed now.

As are many other things BTW, but as said, it IS very complicated, so best we don't go any further on the topic - it would bore - and confuse! - everyone to death!
It would also possibly spark an argument about the NHS :oops: and we definitely don't need any more of "those" threads.
My wife's aunt and uncle lived in Switzerland for over 40 years so I've heard some of the peculiarities if that's the right way to describe them.:)

Just a reminder that your local pharmacy (even those at Tescos and Boots) can provide the flu jab too, in the case of my elderly ma it was far more convenient than going to her doctor's surgery.

Yup Lons, agree 100%. Not only is it very difficult to fairly compare "apples with pears", but just as you say, there are all sorts of "peculiarities" (good word IMO)! AND like you, I certainly DO NOT want to spark off a posting war as we've seen in the past. "Let sleeping dogs lie" and agree that the Swiss system is just "different" ;)

Not a wrinkly, but Mrs AJB and I had ours yesterday (she is only in her 40's). We have it every year. This year they set up a facility in the church and we were in and out in two minutes, which is a result for a church! I got the prettiest nurse. Double result.

Had mine on Friday, they came in to school and it was free to all staff. First time I’ve had one for ages.

i have to go to a walk through clinic on saturday. Time allocated by surname groupings.
I was always a little apprehensive at having to use my health cover when I lived in Zurich as my Dr was called Dr Citron

Back