flourescent lights?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there woemthing wrong with flourescent strip lights as i have been looking for a cheap one for my office and can't seem to find one? Screwfix are damn expensive for a one off and most of the others are small ones for under cabinets. I think I have found a cheap one at Wickes for around £11 but this seems to be the only place? Did I miss something? :?

I found this as well when I was looking for a couple of 4' florries for a loft space last year - Screwfix seem to have gone a bit OTT in their offerings; larger branches of B&Q (Warehouse??) also have some close to Wickes prices, but I try and avoid B&Q on principle. I think I paid about £20 apiece for a 4' 36w batten fitting with a diffuser from Wickes.

I was looking too, last year. I came to the conclusion that they are energy hungry and might be being phased out ??

This was just by looking at the energy ratings listed with each light type.

I am still building my new workshop, so will need some kind of lighting early this year. Dont know what though :?:

Alan, do you know a sparks with a trade account?
I was quoted silly money for 8 No 6` day light flouresecents for the workshop, asked a sparky mate to price them, end up paying a 1/3 of my original price.

Cheers.

Doug

Are there any companies near you who refurbish offices or banks? Might also be worth a look at suspended ceiling installers as any they remove are disposed of and you might get what you want free.

I recently installed ceilings to 8 offices and skipped more than 20 x 4ft doubles (i hate skipping anything), though I did keep a few. You could have had one if you lived closer but the cost of carriage would be as much as a new one.

Bob

If you buy the weatherproof ones they don't get full of dust, I think it's worth the extra cash. I was lucky enough to buy 10 S/H ones from a shop fitter for £100, they were in pretty much as new condition.

If you have a shop refit going on in the area, try approaching them as I must have disposed of hundreds in my time (special waste) often boxes of new ones...bosshogg :)

I'd be buying T5 tubes and fittings - more efficient and better light. Had the details of some down Redditch way that was doing 5' doubles with tubes for £25-£30 without covers. Not 100% sure on the covers though - but would have diffusers if they were included.

Will be digging out there number\details - have then somewhere!

These look good tho - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-5ft-2x49W- ... _990wt_952

HIH

Dibs

Thanks guys. I tried wickes this morning but they were out of them. I ended up taking one out of my garden workshop in the end. (I did have six in there) Problem sorted now.

I got 4 X6ft fittings from a local reclamation yard
last year cost £10 for the lot.one turned out to be
knackered but I think it was a pretty good deal.
Willy.

Latest posts

Back