Flourescent light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
One of our (two) old and manky flourescent units in the kitchen has started to malfunction. It lights, then goes out. Two other (admittedly pre-used) tubes do exactly the same so it seems likely to be the 'lectickery in the unit.

There is a Thorn starter and a Thorn 40w choke in the box.

My question is "is it really worth hunting down and replacing the bits, or should I just replace the flourescents with LED or similar?"

Any and all opinions welcome......

Thanks

Phill

Swap the starter between the faulty and working lights, it sounds like the starter is the problem.

Pete

Thanks, good idea, but on this model the starter is not one of the 'modern standard ones' (of which I have a box with ten or a dozen in). The starter is bigger, with screwed connections and a gurt big clip which may need unfettling. If I do swap it over and it makes a difference I still then have to chase down a replacement.

I think the fittings date back to the sixties or so and are well past their retirement date. I am capable of banging a couple of batten lamp holders up using the existing power. I have a box of CFLs upstairs, or could even go LED.

It would be good if there was a drop-in replacement 'bulb' full of LEDs, but that seems unlikely.

You can get led tube replacements that fit in place of the fluorescent tube. They normally require the starter to be taken out of the circuit.

LED replacement batons are not expensive and new ones may look better but may give cause to redecorate the ceiling :D

I've just fitted one of these in a dark corner - it's now the best illuminated spot in the house!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-4ft ... 00lm/6481v

Dead easy. You fix two little spring clips to the ceiling and snap the batten fitting into them. The unit itself is sealed for life. It comes with about half a metre of flex which you connect to the existing switched mains supply. This can be straight into the old ceiling rose if there was one or onto whatever other connection you still have. You might need a simple junction box which nowadays seems to mean a moulded snap-shut box with a choc block connector inside.

Smuckin Fart Andy, thanks. :D

That is the way I will go (next payday....). I will replace both and get free delivery.

Latest posts

Back