Flotsam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Elm hollow form, heavily textured to to look like it has been afloat for a very long time, perhaps cast upon the sea by some ancient hand.......(don't worry I've not been drinking.. :lol: ..)
The large(ish) size plinth for the piece is to represent the ocean, its size is to allow the form to look afloat with a sense of
being in a vast sea. The opening looked wrong perfectly round so I have very slightly took it out of perfect roundness which I feel suits the textured gold opening better.
Comments and critiques welcomed by anyone and anybody.

flotsom018small.jpg

flotsom008.jpg

hi JT, you know what, i actually love this piece, it is something i would definately place on my sideboard with pride, if you need my address just ask... :lol: :lol:

I've just been having a conversation about 'arty pieces' and I logged on to try and show what I meant, well I didnt have to look far for a great example. I love the shape, colouring and texturing on this piece which all work in my opinion. Well done with this one and thanks for showing it.

Steve

Hi Johnny, A fantastic result, I am very impressed, Would love to know how you did the texturing, including the gold ornamentation, and also the offset opening.

Nice one JT.

As ever, I don't give a monkey's wotsit about the 'vision' for the piece. My only criteria is 'does it work as a shape / object / work of art'

Yes to all three but I would have preferred all the vertical surfaces to be textured in the same direction - certainly so if it is intended to represent the sea.

It will be fun to catch up with what everyone is doing once I'm out of hospital full time - only a week to go - yippee.

I've come back to this many times...

the bowl element is, imo, perfect. what I first 'saw' was a complete match to the description I subsequently read.

whilst I understand, and appreciate, the need for appropriate scale on the base/plinth I don't get ocean - I don't even get North Sea!

The concept is great, the form delivers in spades, but the base doesn't live up to it's billing for me.

I really like the craftsmanship, colours and textures but ....

I agree about Gordon's comments regarding the direction of the texturing and since reading his comment I keep getting drawn to the incongruity.

When you are doing pieces like these you often go in for a series building on what has gone before. If you do my suggestion would be to make the base a simple curved circular base ( I am struggling to find the right geometric description, round and domed) but textured and coloured as per you have done on the current one and that would in my opinion truly deliver on the description

These comments aside it is a stunning piece

Thanks for the input everyone 8)

Well done Gordon for spotting the ,errrr, deliberate mistake :oops: I should have and instantly knew after I had done it, textured the base diagonally, which would have of course allowed all four sides to match the top....... #-o
To answer the questions, I used Kelton Hollowers on the inside of the form and the texturing was mostly done with a dremel.

I love this. But I don't know which piece to look at first - they compete with each other for me. It's like a pretty girl with an over-fussy hairstyle. Both are lovely, but they possible take away from each other because they're both so good. For me, anyroadup.

Back