Flooring suggestions for workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGKent

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for some suggestions on flooring for my workshop. The floor is thick chipboard as is and needs something over it to protect it (and I do not like the hollow walking on planks sound it makes). So I need to protect it and dampen the tread sound.

I was thinking of using some sort of carpet underlay with a hard-wearing industrial type nylon carpet on top (like the ones they used to have in school corridors etc). Would this do the trick?

Any comments and suggestions gratefully received.

Any kind of fabric floor covering i'd be worried about wood shavings getting caught up. I stopped wearing socks in the workshop a few year back after the wife threatened to divorce me if she had to pick wood shavings out of one more pair.

Have you had a look at carpet tiles? The pile is so thin on them you shouldn't have issued with anything being caught. You could even get rubber tiles

I use the Axminster's interlocking 'rubber/plastic' tiles. over a plain old concrete garage floor.

No need for full coverage; just where you walk or stand. Gaffa tape will hold them down and remove the trip hazard, along the exposed edges, and they are comfy to stand on. They also cut easily with a Stanley knife and a straight edge. Mine cost £17.00 a pack; Axi occasionally do offers on them.

I see they are now a bit more expensive, but I have found them just the ticket; and they are great in my shed, and along a shelf where I store planes!

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-an ... t-4-100222
Cheers and HTH

MattRoberts":1kvdxz7r said:
Have you had a look at carpet tiles? The pile is so thin on them you shouldn't have issued with anything being caught. You could even get rubber tiles

Many many years ago when I was skint, I used old carpet tiles but upside down so the hard rubber backing was on top. I glued them edge to edge with Copydex and it worked very well, warmer and kinder on the feet but easy to sweep clean.

I'd forgotten about that!

Bob

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my floor is built up like this:

Concrete slab
DP Membrane
50mm polystyrene
10mm OSB
22mm Cabershield

The Cabershield has a hard-wearing, grey, non-slip, PU surface. It's very nice to work on and is easy to keep clean. The Cabershield was not much more than regular chipboard flooring.

Lons":2o4ohowf said:
MattRoberts":2o4ohowf said:

Many many years ago when I was skint, I used old carpet tiles but upside down so the hard rubber backing was on top. I glued them edge to edge with Copydex and it worked very well, warmer and kinder on the feet but easy to sweep clean.

I'd forgotten about that!

Bob
That's a great idea!

Cabershield sounds interesting. Not heard of that before.

I'd have thought any kind of carpet would be complete nightmare. I don't even have the stuff anywhere on the bottom floor of my house with 3 kids. In a wood workshop it would be high maintenance to say the least.

I epoxy painted my workshop garage floor in the belief that it would basically by flake and chip free. I was wrong.

I actually have a fantasy about laying solid wood down at some point...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input... Bit to think about and have gone off the carpet idea.

Was looking at interlocking tiles (vinyl) after reading the comment here but a bit prohibitive in terms of price for the good ones.
Talking 240 quid (ex VAT) for these: http://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-flooring-c ... rce=google

Cabershields sound good but not into the colour from what I see on google. Ideally would like black, brown or beige.

What about commercial lino?

What about a roll of vinyl? You could probably get it pretty cheap and if you were not too fussed you could probably get 2 bits cheap from cuts that might fit and gaff them at join. Alternatively one big section would look clean.

You would be best going to your local carpet fitter place as they will have them on rolls far far cheaper than the big sheds like carpet right etc. But a quick google and there is a inducstrial style one for 6x3m roll http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Non-S ... opTMIKubyA - still could get it cheaper locally..

I have interlocking vinyl tiles and carpet tiles they both are good the carpet tiles are easy to clean.

Pete

Just an update. I bought, from Homebase, oak finished self adhesive vinyl planks at 9.99 for 1.95m2 (not bad considering the prices I'd seen online). I will be lining the floor with hardboard and then sticking this down on top.

Thanks, but I needed something a bit less expensive (and prettier) than those.

I used plywood with three coats of floor paint. Definitely use it again if I needed to.

Steve,

I see you are still very active on the forums and I do not see DM as an option, so sorry for asking about a thread from 4 years ago.

Can I ask you if you still have CaberShield on you floor these 4 years later and if you would still recommended it? Is it holding up well? Does the surface offer some protection to tools you drop on it like a chipboard surface would?

Thanks

Scott

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my floor is built up like this:

Concrete slab
DP Membrane
50mm polystyrene
10mm OSB
22mm Cabershield

The Cabershield has a hard-wearing, grey, non-slip, PU surface. It's very nice to work on and is easy to keep clean. The Cabershield was not much more than regular chipboard flooring.

Steve,

I see you are still very active on the forums and I do not see DM as an option, so sorry for asking about a thread from 4 years ago.

Can I ask you if you still have CaberShield on you floor these 4 years later and if you would still recommended it? Is it holding up well? Does the surface offer some protection to tools you drop on it like a chipboard surface would?

Thanks

Scott
I'm not here anymore. But yes, if I have to lay another workshop floor, I'll do exactly the same again, it's excellent.

P. S. I see that I am "moderated" now before my responses are published...

Last edited:
Back