Floorboard Gaps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex H

Established Member
Reaction score
We have some rather large gaps in our landing floor. In order to rectify this, I want to lift the boards where I can, but how do I do this? They are tongue and grooved at the ends of the boards as well as they sides, so how do I cut them out?

Is this a job for a plunge saw, (which I do not have) or is there a manual way?

Depends what the final application is.... If they're fancy boards that are going to be on view then careful lifting and relaying is the way to go. So skirtings removed, start from the last fixed point and work back. Either punch through or remove fixings. Make sure you've got some matching timber - you will damage some.
Otherwise just leave everything in place, fill gaps with splines of wood then carpet over ;-)

If you do start cutting and otherwise removing. Give thought to the electrics and pipes that may be on the underside.

All above advice is good. I use a small handheld circular saw in the manner of a plunge saw, with the blade set well within floorboard thickness to avoid pipes and cables. Last bit the saw can't reach, just chisel or small floorboard / handsaw.

It is a pickle, so if not particuarly nice floor, just cover as suggested above.

I use a multitool for floorboards, run it down the t+g either side then diagonally over the joists, avoiding nails but trying to keep within the joist width.
On refitting you may need to nail/screw some battens to the joist sides to support any boards cut too short to be supported.

Back