Floorboard finishes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend is currently decorating her teenage daughters bedroom up and has now moved onto the floor. She sanded the floorboards and has begun painting them with a very light creamy lilac emulsion paint. I'm after any views on whether or not this is an ok paint to use on a floor in a kids bedroom? Views on:

Is it hardy enough?

Will she need to do tons of coats therefore more hassle than it's worth?

She wants it as near satin as poss, maybe a light sheen at the most, is it advisable to coat with varnish afterwards or can she leave a wooden floor with just coats of emulsion on?

Can this be washed ok if its emulsion, or will it not last 5 minutes in a kids bedroom where there will be furniture being moved and the usual grotty teenage things going on?

I saw some acrylic matt varnish today at a hardware store, 500ml for £1.50.....is acrylic any good for a job like this?

The room is being done on a bit of a budget so any recommendations of great but expensice paint or varnish really are'nt an option.

Any help on this would be most appreciated. Varnish advice would be more handy, not gloss though? Thankyou.

Calv.

i'm no expert but i think I would have done a first coat of very watered down emulsion maybe rubbed over with a rag

Emulsion is rubbish for a floor finish, adhesion problems, will stain scuff and mark. For a solid colour finish a floor paint like Glidden has a range of colours. For washed out colour use Dulux Diamond glaze tinted to anything. I know these paints are pricey, but if the cheap option was any good nobody would spend money on the expensive paints would they? As for varnish, one designed for floors is best though they are made to apply to bare wood and might not adhere too well to emulsion paint. And you won't get it in a matt finish, satin at best which is still quite shiney

Back