Floor Vs cabinetry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Just trying to get my head around the order of things. Essentially I have a blank canvas room with floors that need sanding and cabinets that need building.

My logical assumption is that I should get the floors sanded first (as easier using machine than navigating around cabinets), then build cabinets and only after that get floor varnished and cabinets painted.

Is that right or is there a better way?

Think of it this way, if you change cabinets around for some reason, you'll have a hell of a job patching it in.

Sounds like there is a consensus, thank you.

Re rooms it's across 3, a lounge and library that are blank canvases but will have built in bookcases and cabinets, and a kitchen where the units are already in so I've got no choice there.

Always do the floor first, every time.

I visited a relative the other day and they are having a lot of work done, including a new kitchen. The builder fitted the units first and then LVT flooring after.
An unmitigated disaster, they also clear siliconed the plinth for reasons known only to themselves, never seen anything like it.
I am not getting involved, the snag list is long.

Ollie

That settles it then! I wouldn't have got involved either but purely on the grounds I'm more than twice bitten mixing work with friends and family so now avoid at all costs.

So far the house I've bought is a veritable DIY house of horrors. It's 100 yrs old but snag list is triple digits. 5 separate leaks within the first 2 months, electrics done using a lot of tape and plumbing that was nigh on non existent. Thankfully all that rubbish is largely fixed, plasterer in tomorrow and windows/doors in next week so hoping in February I can crack on with the woodwork

like everyone says do the floor first then cover it.... in the low use areas with triple wall cardboard...
working area use what ever u like but I woulds use T+G chipboard, that way when the protection is lifted everything is perfect.....

like everyone says do the floor first then cover it.... in the low use areas with triple wall cardboard...
working area use what ever u like but I woulds use T+G chipboard, that way when the protection is lifted everything is perfect.....
The good thing (I use that loosely) is that it's currently just my daughter and I living together and the rooms in question are marked off as "in progress" i.e. not useable and thus no traffic in them other than my own so I'll get away with selective use of cardboard for when I'm doing the woodwork.

The OCD in me is erring towards at least mist/undercoat ALL the plaster walls first before assembling cabinets (i.e. even in places where a cabinet will block it). Would the norm be to put cabinets in first then address all the decorating once that work is done?

Floor first then put down Protec or similar. It's tough stuff and reusable if it doesn't get wrecked.

Floor first then put down Protec or similar. It's tough stuff and reusable if it doesn't get wrecked.
that seems quite reasonably priced in the 2 & 3mm thickness, worth the investments for a few sheets, as you say can reuse in each room as and when I get to them

that seems quite reasonably priced in the 2 & 3mm thickness, worth the investments for a few sheets, as you say can reuse in each room as and when I get to them
Roofing membrane like Tyvek will do it too.

It's best to finish the room as much as possible first and then install cabinets etc which have been built somewhere else. Certainly mist walls and finish ceilings . I would finish painting so the cutting in round cabinets doesn't show, maybe miss out behind kitchen runs to save a bit of paint. If you are doing much building/ assembly in the rooms protect the floor, building paper roll is ok or tougher prodec type.

Roger that, will take that on board. Plan is for walls/cabinets to be same colour so the cutting in part won't be such an issue but certainly will get the entire mist coat done before I even look at cabinets. Kitchen already fitted when we bought the place but plan is to change the colour of the units and get a new worktop. Have not used one before but from my research, given the sheer quantity of painting I will be doing, investing in a paint sprayer (like the Wagner 350) seems the prudent move.

So far the house I've bought is a veritable DIY house of horrors. It's 100 yrs old but snag list is triple digits. 5 separate leaks within the first 2 months, electrics done using a lot of tape and plumbing that was nigh on non existent. Thankfully all that rubbish is largely fixed, plasterer in tomorrow and windows/doors in next week so hoping in February I can crack on with the woodwork
With all that to do I hope you still have youth on your side.
We moved into a similar pile when we were 35 years old, with professional careers developing and 3 children under 4yrs. Everything took us twice as long as expected, after 5 years we just got used to living in a building site. Now after 36years I'm having to revisit a lot of the early work.
Good luck.

We moved into a similar pile when we were 35 years old, with professional careers developing and 3 children under 4yrs. Everything took us twice as long as expected, after 5 years we just got used to living in a building site. Now after 36years I'm having to revisit a lot of the early work.
Good luck.

You could just as easily be talking about me, with that post. 😂

Good luck.
Bizarrely enough we moved up from Bromley! I'm just about clasping at a "youth" title at 38, but my kids are a bit older with one already 18 so that makes things a bit easier. I've got all the time in the world to work on it but what I am finding frustrating is the parts where I require the professionals as finding the unicorn combo of "good and fair price" is as rare as it sounds.

I've done all the electrics myself and had professional come in to fit new consumer unit and sign off. Did all new radiator pipework and had gas safe in for new boiler and sign off. I'm relishing the woodwork part where I've only got myself to blame if progress is slow or the quality is not great!

Forgot to mention, my father did a similar thing, well, late in his 40s, and 30 years later there is still no handle on the utility room door :)

Back