Floor colour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillemare

Reaction score
It is often said there is no silly question, so here goes, silly question; As my burnt out garage being rebuilt by the insurance company is coming to and end, fingers crossed, soon, I will be asked what colour would you like the floor to be painted? I am thinking red, not seeing red, just wondered what your thoughts might be.

Painted mine grey.
In a factory setting, green were pedestrian walkways and red were for forklifts, but there are no hard n fast rules. I've seen everything from a nice mid blue to shades of polished concrete. Whatever you like or can buy cheapest....

Completely agree with @Terrytpot for just that reason I went for a light grey plus the lighter the colour the more light it reflects, my mate‘s dark green floor makes his shop seem quite dark in comparison

Current workshop is mid-grey flooring paint (with some areas covered in plastic/rubber interlocked "checkerplate" tiles that are easier on the feet) - previous workshop was green floor paint . . . grey is better, easier to see small things you might drop.

Thank you all very much, food for thought for sure and the no speckling is something I had not thought of. I have black rubber ridged matting that I was going to use on the floor where I would be standing and I am still thinking red to contrast the black but using a light red to bring some warmth into what will be a stark white walled and black floor matting garage workshop.

Pink, yes that is to far even for me, I am trying to avoid bland, and as this is my area alone I am wanting to stamp my own choice of colour as the house is a compromise (Well she that must be obeyed choice) and as grey is a trending colour I am reluctant to follow that line, but appreciate your choice. I suppose I am looking for a reasoned argument not to use red, I think as there won't be many things that are red that are used in a workshop it will show up on the floor, and then opposing that it will show up all the muddy boot prints brought in from the garden etc. Ahh but I have a cunning plan to stop that by using a door matt. Nelson had the Victoria gun decks painted red so as not show the blood spilt on the decks, I am sort of hoping that this facility will not be used.

Everyone is different, I like my workshop to look bland, white walls, grey floor. Any cupboards etc I make for it have to be Birch ply, MDF or painted grey (Festool grey, yes I am that sad).

Another vote for grey. But I have light blue rubber floor tiles. Red sucks the light out of the room and also can be quite close to the colour of some woods so things disappear on it.

Another vote for grey. But I have light blue rubber floor tiles. Red sucks the light out of the room and also can be quite close to the colour of some woods so things disappear on it.
OK, I'll take note of that, red sucks! Green is a no no for me, how about sky blue, or perhaps terracotta?

OK, I'll take note of that, red sucks! Green is a no no for me, how about sky blue, or perhaps terracotta?

Ya right, Peterm 100
Parfait Pink
Dusty colors, like this muted shade of pastel pink, suck the brightness out of a room. Since bright colors elevate your mood, she says lackluster ones like this tend to do the opposite.

pink parfait

I worked in a hangar and the floor was painted white. Reflected the light nicely. My buddy worked in the Canadian Airline hangar and all the concrete was made with white quartz sand so it reflected light. Later I worked in a machining plant where all the floors were unpainted concrete. Dark, dirty and dingy. They built an addition that had the ceiling, concrete walls and floors painted white. Bright and clean. Nice side to work in. If you want colour paint the machines, window trim and doors. Leave the floors light grey or white. Right now I have unpainted OSB on the walls, ceiling and floor. If it weren't for the bright lights and lots of windows I would hate it. That's how I see it but you do what you want. It's only paint so you can always do it agian.

Pete

I worked in a hangar and the floor was painted white. Reflected the light nicely. My buddy worked in the Canadian Airline hangar and all the concrete was made with white quartz sand so it reflected light. Later I worked in a machining plant where all the floors were unpainted concrete. Dark, dirty and dingy. They built an addition that had the ceiling, concrete walls and floors painted white. Bright and clean. Nice side to work in. If you want colour paint the machines, window trim and doors. Leave the floors light grey or white. Right now I have unpainted OSB on the walls, ceiling and floor. If it weren't for the bright lights and lots of windows I would hate it. That's how I see it but you do what you want. It's only paint so you can always do it agian.

Pete
Thank you Peter, well it looks to me as a very light grey is the colour to go for and add colour to the furnishings is a really good way to go. Thank you to all of you it has been a great help.

My father painted his garage workshop floor for many of the above reasons, but also because it's much easier to sweep a painted surface than a raw concrete one. The dust from the latter is awful. Dad was a notorious miser though, so any old leftover paint would do for him, resulting in a tastelessly multi-coloured surface. Pragmatic though and he wasn't bothered about what others thought as no one else resorted to his workshop domain, apart from mum who would bring him a cuppa. He was also quite eccentric and once painted a pair of work trousers black because he didn't like the colour. Hardly a fashion victim and he was most annoyed that using gloss paint on a pair of trousers would make them go "all hard and uncomfortable". He was a civil engineer! There truly is no such thing as "common" sense - it's a rare attribute.

Latest posts

Back