Floor boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
After lifting floor boards to replace services, I am now ready to fix down the boards, repairing as I go along.

Taking them up damaged the tongue and groove. I plan to refit with screws, partly because it’s faster and also if I ever need to lift them again, it will be easier.
The boards had two nails per every other joist, will one screw per joist be ok? Also is it ok to put the screws down the centre of the board?

Put two screws per joist either side.I wouldn't screw down the centres. Be careful when screwing near any pipes and cables.

In an ideal world the boarding would have been made with the heart side up or better still the growth rings at 90 degrees to the surface, in that case a single screw in the centre may suffice since the boards will have dried and scallowed with a round upper face. However in the real world many of the boards will have a rounded lower face and will rock and creak when walked on unless two screws are used in each board.

Yeah 2 screws per joist, and watch the pipes.

I was on a job a couple of years ago and got asked if I could make good the floorboards that the plumber had taken up, because of the way plumbers take up floorboards quite a few needed replacing.

I got a phone call a week later asking if I could go and fix the floorboards down again, slightly confused I went and had a look at what needed doing. Turns out the husband had said "Doug's missed some screws in these floor boards" got his cordless screwdriver out and proceeded to screw through six pipes #-o

Thanks folks, two screws it is then.
All pipes are suspended under the joists now.
My plumber is a good bloke!

Back