Floor board advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

I have a 6" Rexon bench planer (very good for the price) but I have some old floor boards I need to thickness, & plane the edges square.

The question is shall I buy a thicknesser i.e the Delta looks good? (but any advice appreciated) or go the full hog and buy a planer thicknesser i.e the scheppach.

Thanks in advance

i've got a perform P/T and a woodcut (same as axminster) thicknesser.

i also spent several months (on and off) earlier this year planing and squaring off my old bedroom floorboards.

i ran them all through the thicknesser first so i could find all the staples and carpet tacks. my P/T has disposable blades but the thicknesser ones can be sharpened.

the floor was finished about 3 weeks ago and looks good considering it was free.

Mark":23l08pks said:
Hi

I have a 6" Rexon bench planer (very good for the price) but I have some old floor boards I need to thickness, & plane the edges square.

The question is shall I buy a thicknesser i.e the Delta looks good? (but any advice appreciated) or go the full hog and buy a planer thicknesser i.e the scheppach.

Thanks in advance

I've both the Rexon jointer and thicknesser. Like I said in another post....... jointer's good....... but has it's limitations... but the thicknesser.... AWSOME tool....... accurate to 0.05mm, churned it's way through everything I've thrown at it. Use it with a pair of in/out feed rollers and it's unstoppable.

If you're goint to edge joint with the 6".... spend TONS of time setting up your infeed roller height. Anything other than bang on level and you'll get a banana board every time. Copes well with short stock, but anything over 4ft and it's starting to struggle...

We plane 12 and 15ft boards on a Dewalt Dw733. works fine, just make sure the thicknesser is bolted down, otherwise it might try and motor along the board :shock:

You need a pair of hands at each end of the board or a very long support.

As to planing the edges; if they are long use a try plane (No7) and get some exercise :wink: Or cheat and use a power plane!

Ralph

Latest posts

Back