Flooding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highest point in Leicestershire here so not too worried :)

However, we know snow!!!!!!

Given the fact that I live on top of a 500' high hill, if I ever get flooded, the rest of you had better have downloaded some plans for an Ark :shock: (I am sure Alf can tell us where to look for downloadable Ark plans). :D

it really makes me laugh,

in the FAQ section under "will this effect my house insurance"...

take a look at the answer they give, y did`nt they just say "YES"

I really do wonder where this country is going sometimes........

steve

I'm up with the high folk as well,
but don't tell them w.country people or there will
be 'Jethro's Removals' lorries sneaking up the M4 :shock:

TX

I just tried to check my house but got "Unable to connect to server"

Guess they are "flooded" with requests !!!!

Sorry ... I'll get my coat.

Several months ago we did the usual checks when applying for house insurance. According to the insurers our postcode put us at significant risk of flooding and the premium was adjusted accordingly.

We pointed out that we are on top of a hill (let's call it an exagerated mound for want of a better description). Vertically just a few hundred yards from us is a local Tesco - we are well above their roof level 'cos we look down on them. They've got a little brook running behind them and undoubtedly that could potentially rise and flood (though it's never shown any signs of doing so even in the highest rainfall).

Now I am going to get sorely p!ssed if our ground floor gets a soaking, but there's a few hundred homes around here that are going to go absolutely apopletic 'cos for sure their loft contents are going to get a wash in some dirty smelly stuff.

Wonderful things these postcodes.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

It sounds as though you might be suffering from the blight that used to plague me.

The insurance companies only used to used the first part of the postcode which in my case covered a coal mining area, which was liable to subsidence, about four miles away.

It was only after repeated searching that I found a company that used the whole of the postcode and thus sanity returned to the quotation.

I thought that nowadays most companies would use the the whole of the postcode.

If the map is showing that it would flood your house then you can contact them to ask for it to be re-drawn. It is all produced by computer simulation and is guaranteed not to be 100% correct.

Cheers
Neil

That site seems to be well out of date.
I put in my post code and it showed flooding from the brook behind us to the middle of the roar.
That happened in 1968 as a result of a 100 year storm when there was 5.5" of rain in 24 hours with 2.5" in one hour.
The flood map takes no notice of the flood relief measures put in since then.
One was a relief flood channel cut parallel to the brook 10 years ago.
Regardless of heavy rainfall the brook never rises by more than 18" now whereas it used to rise 15' in the past.

Back