Flooded motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJM

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just bought a Startrite saw for the bargain price of £30... the reason being it had been flooded by the Rochdale canal! Most of the water damage is superficial; everything moves freely and the rust is not terminal.

However, what’s the prognosis for the motor? My intention is actually to put a bigger motor that I already have, into this saw as I’ve some hefty ripping to do on it. But I’d hate to scrape a motor that could be salvaged! Is it worth having a fiddle??

cheers

Open it up, wash it out with WD40 and blast it out with compressed air then let it dry. Certainly worth a try.

Electrically there’s a good chance it’s fine, just make sure it’s dry before trying it. Mechanically the water could have knackered the bearings, if it doesn’t turn by hand I’d not try and run it before changing the bearings.

Fitz

The first 12 words of your post will make many here including me green with envy :sick:
Hope you get it running , a spare that you know works and fits exactly could help you out in case of failure of the larger one :)

Open it up, wash it out with water, ideally distilled water (de-ionised). Dry it slowly and gradually. WD40 is best not used - it leaves a residue, although a proper electrical motor cleaner would be fine.
Duncan

Great! Thanks for the guidance and encouragement. I’ll give it a shot, when I get a chance.

I have just had this exact problem, a fire next door to my workshop resulted in a lot of water from the Fire Brigade ending up in the motor of my big three-phase dust extractor, I stood an oil filled radiator under it for a few days to dry it out and all appeared to be good when we turned it on except that the bearings had been shot (A rumbling sound that echoed like mad through all the galvanised ducting) so it had to go off for new bearings – yes I could’ve done it myself but I didn’t have the pullers and just couldn’t see how to get the fan off the motor without some heavy equipment. Best of luck Ian

Latest posts

Back