Flood problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea re the Aco drain but do you have anywhere for the water to go to ?

This is exactly the issue. Similarly if I install an automatic sump pump or something where can I pump it to so that it doesn`t just come back.
Hopefully if I can locate the garden rain water drain maybe there, but of course its the other side of the house to the main problem.

This is why I think am going to need a proper plan. I could spend loads of money and effort and it might not work or be enough to solve it.

Ollie

I think my drain is different to yours. It''s At the bottom of a down pipe against the wall.

View attachment 121024

so no traffic running over it. I designed it to allow some leaves to go down the drain, but if the lower part blocked and the water rose, then more leaves could go down the drain. At times, all the water from several hundred metres of road was running down this drain. Before I added my drain cover, I have seen about 6" of water at the drain. It is really enjoyable to clear the blockage and watch thousands of gallons disappear down the drain.

Can you post a picture of your problem drain. I'm sure someone will come up with a good idea.

Just to be clear, I'm not the OP. I was just reading the thread and curious about what you wrote seeing as it's something I often think about with my drains.

Apologies to the OP for going of topic.

And thanks to you for answering and posting the picture. Perhaps when I come to properly look at my drains etc I'll make a new thread of my own.

Cheers

I believe it was Cambridge City council who installed posts with rubber seals at the front boundaries of houses on the River Cam (Maybe Mariners Way just looking at a map?). Sectional ally boards were dropped in when flooding was expected. But I seem to remember they didn't change the drains so those waterproofed properties were filled from within.
Rain water catchment or attenuation tanks can be made from digging a hole, lining it with a suitable membrane and filling the hole with a structural plastic crate strong enough to drive on. So you could turn your drive into storage. You could use the stored water with suitable filtration in the house too? But how big a tank?????

Like Aquavoid Stormwater Soakaway and Attenuation Crate 20 Tonne - 2.5 Per m3 | Drainage Superstore®

I wonder about these being any good, if I dig a post hole in the garden (did fence last year) once I get about 500mm or so down it will start to get water in it. So I think these would just be full all the time. I guess the drive does go up a bit so might contain a bit to prevent the surge.

@Krome10
no worries, its all drain related.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back