Floating shelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all.

I'm making 2 shelves to go above 2 sinks. I want them to be floating shelves and woke up at 4am this morning pondering it. I wanted to know if anyone have tried making a floating shelf using a French cleat? In my head the physics seems to be fine, the shelf won't be holding a great deal of weight and wouldn't be deep. I also think the weight distribution would be better on the wall as it could span the entire length of the shelf rather than 2 metal rods like the ones you can buy.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Id imagine a lot depends on the materials used and construction. if you made a frame with an 18mm top which is glued/screwed along the back edge to the cleat, then once in place fix the bottom panel it could work. trouble is all the weight is hanging on one edge. normally most french cleat hangy things have a much higher % of pressure on the shear force.

If the cleat was like an upstand at the back it would be OK as the shelf would cantelever and pull it tight. Would probably have to be too big though.

I have 2 floating shelves in my bathroom both just made from a lump of redwood. Drill holes from the back edge through toward the front of the shelf say 120mm deep if it's a 200mm shelf. Large enough for a dowel. Rip the board to have say a 50mm strip (to secure to the wall) and a 150mm strip (the rest of the shelf). Secure the first bit, put dowels in, slip second bit over the top.

I should add, my dowel holes were so drunk that the only way I got the front part on was with a Mk2 Persuader. Only way it's coming off is if I put a saw through the join line.

Dame thing can be done with a floating tenon using a router I guess. Probably straighter than my effort at least!

Last edited:
The IKEA ones have a steel plate that fixes to the wall with two metal tube supports welded to it sticking straight out - as you describe.
Buy one, cut the tubes down to the length you want and make your own shelf around their metalwork to replace their powdered wood thingy.
Or weld up your own frames
I wouldn't expect a french cleat type to carry any real weight either, but if the floaters are only 2-3 inches front to back and holding ornaments not a ton of shampoo bottles or pot plants, they maybe yes.

Did these last year made from offcuts of Oak worktop, simply cut the tops off some 9” coach bolts screwed them to the wall & pushed the shelves with corresponding holes over the bolts, they worked very well.

27806C9E-DDB9-4161-A998-B9E6622C6DC2.jpeg

05328CD9-D456-4FCD-920B-394F1E9885CB.jpeg

Being overly cautious I drilled & tapped the Oak for hex headed grub screws that tightened on to the coach bolt shank but the shelves fit so snuggly I needn’t of bothered.

I use M8 threaded rod and pu glue. Obviously if wall is not solid masonry then more cunning is required!

See!!! This is the sh*t that keeps me up at 4am!! Overthinking a simple problem and trying to be clever! I am clearly my own worst enemy.
We've al done it.

I spent an hour looking at a broken fulcrum pin on a ride on mower last week wondering how in all hell i'd be able to get to it and replace it. It looked very tucked away.

Turns out you remove the grass chute from the back and its staring you in the face!

Last edited:
At least it wasn't the early hours. I'm a pipper for getting my brain going making plans when I should be sleeping

I've used an Ikea one in a teenagers bedroom a few years back, surprisingly solid. The bolt in wall design looks good, wish I had thought of that. It strikes me that the key question is the nature of the wall. Our first house, built 1920s, you only had to walk into a room carrying a drill for an acre of plaster to fall off revealing very dodgy brickwork. That's why we have bookcases.

I did see them made very easily with a domino xl too. Don't think a regular domino would go deep enough though. Though it might be OK.

Was a daft video to be honest, people cry at youtubers for not having a domino (despite being able to use a router) let alone a giant domino.

Last edited:
Back