Floating media shelf/unit - build advice pls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
Even though I haven't started my next project...The wife has requested I build a floating media shelf out of walnut (matching the table and chairs we have - wasn't allowed to build those). We seem to have agreed on the below image (only one of them)

Shelf_01.jpg

The dimensions of the unit will be about 25 cm width, 110cm long and 19cm tall.

I need advice on the best way to build the end curved pieces. i have thought of two ways

1 - Raw strips and steam bend them. Problem is I can only resaw 12cm, so I would have to make them in .alf and join with a domino. (i would reduce the unit to 24cm)
2 - Glue a block to gather and cut the shape out. This would use a fair amount of would and create alot of waste. Also, i would have to my double (my band saw can only cut up to 120mm.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Shelf_01.jpg
    Shelf_01.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 776
I think that veneer (perhaps combined with the previously mentioned bendy ply) sounds like an answer to your problem.
Cheers, W2S

Came up with another approach last night!..On the long board's ill glue a 2x2 inch block and shape it....I can then glue a short piece to bridge the gap.

ScottGoddard":3bx4938z said:
Came up with another approach last night!..On the long board's ill glue a 2x2 inch block and shape it....I can then glue a short piece to bridge the gap.
You're going to get grain mismatch that way. The 2x2 blocks will show end grain facing forwards, whereas the rest of the walnut will show edge grain.

You're better off using laminated bendy ply as previously suggested, or just build a more simple box with a heavy roundover on the ends

The problem with bendy ply is it only 9mm, would you suggest combining two sheets as i would like a thickness of 20 ish mm

Back