float glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i eventually got me some float glass from my local glass company they gave it me for nothing but it has some sharp edges i have already cut my self twice and i have only had it a couple of hours so what i want to know is how can i remove the sharp edges or round them off.

Derek.

You should be able to take the corners of with a sharpening stone, just rub gently. New wet and dry wrapt around a stick should do it if you don't have a stone. 8)

Or a belt sander, used carefully - that's how I edged mine...

derek

can you simply edge it with wood? maybe a frame attached to a ply base?

I certainlhy wouldn't want to place a piece of glass against a powered sander or grinder :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tony - works well, with a medium grit on my (industrial) bosch half sheet sander. You need to be aware of the fire hazard (sparks into sawdust etc), but it's fast and surprisingly controllable/effective. I wouldn't recommend it on a seriously jagged/broken edge, but for one that needs 'easing' after using a glass cutter, it works a treat.

I have mine on a piece of melamine faced board, tacked around the edges with hot melt glue. Eased the edges with a file and vigourous flattening of plane and chisel iron backs. :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Back