Float glass or similar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been trying to find something very flat I can use to attach abrasive to for sharpening. I know a lot of places that do the scary sharp systems sell sheets of float glass, but they're always quite big, enough to fit several sheets. I want something about 100x250mm, so only enough to just fit one sheet so I can use it from any side. I also only need it for one, maybe two sheets (could use the other side), so I really don't want the big sheets, just something a little bigger than your standward 3x8 diamond stone.

Has anyone come across something you can buy online? I've enquired into getting float glass cut, but it's like £30, and as it's always toughened, I'm not even sure if it will be flat.

I've also seen these : https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... late-small, but as they're plastic, you can't use thinners on them to remove the adhesive (which from experience is tough to get off)

Granit chopping board. They come in various sizes and are as flat as you would need them to be.

Go to any glazier and ask for an off cut of 6mm to 10mm glass. They'll give it to you free or for pennies. Almost all glass is float glass these days.

transatlantic":3owozezm said:
Rorschach":3owozezm said:
Granit chopping board. They come in various sizes and are as flat as you would need them to be.

Tried that, they're not the size I am after

You can cut them down if you have a diamond tile saw or a diamond blade for an angle grinder. Easier to cut than thick glass.

I use a bit of mirror I pulled out of a skip where some shops were being refitted. The price was right. ;)

MikeG.":bn3oxbxh said:
Go to any glazier and ask for an off cut of 6mm to 10mm glass. They'll give it to you free or for pennies. Almost all glass is float glass these days.

This is what I did. I think they just gave it to me as it was waste to them.

Rather large than your ideal, but ask for an old scanner or all-in-one inkjet printer/scanner on your local Freecycle and use the optically flat glass that's employed.
There's always plenty of those heading for the skip.
Martin.

Are you looking for cheaper alternatives, than from the likes of workshop heaven?
£30 is probably a bit expensive for 470x220x10mm,
The trouble is you need a straight edge to check any alternatives like granite offcuts, and a ruler won't do.

Don't use toughened glass, it's been heat treated and is often not so flat anymore, it's also unnecessary!

Aidan

TheTiddles":20otchlg said:
Don't use toughened glass, it's been heat treated and is often not so flat anymore, it's also unnecessary!

Aidan

How flat do you need it to be? It works absolutely fine for me (and anyone else who isn't building swiss watches I suspect!) - it is stronger, for a given thickness, and breaks safely (two key advantages IMHO) - just one reason why it's used in windows (house and car) and kitchen/bathroom shelves (including mine!).

I use a marble tile. We picked up a few free samples from tile shops when doing a bathroom. Repurposed as a sharpening tile when SWMBO picked something else. It’s about 12” square and was free.

Fitz.

Woody2Shoes":2g5v0jn0 said:
... - it is stronger, for a given thickness, and breaks safely (two key advantages IMHO) - just one reason why it's used in windows (house and car) and kitchen/bathroom shelves (including mine!).
Apparently now they insist upon laminated in doors and windows below a certain height (800mm? iirc) as it doesn't shatter like toughened.

Float glass is just the means of production isn't it? Mine were the shelves from kitchen cabinets. I also have a metre long length of marble worktop from the skip of same kitchen fitters on the little industrial units near my house. I keep that for occasional use in special environmentally controlled conditions down the side of the shed. :wink:

Woody2Shoes":3k14zn9q said:
TheTiddles":3k14zn9q said:

Aidan

How flat do you need it to be? It works absolutely fine for me (and anyone else who isn't building swiss watches I suspect!) - it is stronger, for a given thickness, and breaks safely (two key advantages IMHO) - just one reason why it's used in windows (house and car) and kitchen/bathroom shelves (including mine!).

Well I guess with sharpening flatter is better than stronger, because there's little chance the glass is going to break unless you're exerting a bit too much pressure. Or you drop it obviously.

billw":sregy9si said:
Woody2Shoes":sregy9si said:
TheTiddles":sregy9si said:

Aidan

Well I guess with sharpening flatter is better than stronger, because there's little chance the glass is going to break unless you're exerting a bit too much pressure. Or you drop it obviously.

Oh my goodness. I find it impossible to say how much I disagree. Modern tempered glass is FLAT for all practical purposes. I feel the spirit of Jacob descending on me....

Woody2Shoes":2abtpzw2 said:
Oh my goodness. I find it impossible to say how much I disagree. Modern tempered glass is FLAT for all practical purposes. I feel the spirit of Jacob descending on me....

There's flat.... and there's flatter :D

Phil Pascoe":1c6brmdp said:
Woody2Shoes":1c6brmdp said:
... - it is stronger, for a given thickness, and breaks safely (two key advantages IMHO) - just one reason why it's used in windows (house and car) and kitchen/bathroom shelves (including mine!).
Apparently now they insist upon laminated in doors and windows below a certain height (800mm? iirc) as it doesn't shatter like toughened.

You need safety glass which is toughened or laminated below 800mm . The new laminated reg I think is to do with part Q of the building regs and security, laminated glass is required in easily accessible windows and doors. If you break a window to access a property and it's normal glass it will break easily but chances are you will cut yourself trying to gain entry. Toughened glass is harder to break but just falls out in 1000's of harmless pieces so it's easy to climb through said window. Laminated glass is hard to break and stays in place anyway so you can't gain access.

Back