flippin' seller on ebay....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
So i'm after a set of cold weather togs (jacket and leggings) for an up coming cruise this winter to northern Norway to see the Northern Lights. Don't want to buy new if they're only gona get used for a couple of weeks, and have been looking around on fleabay. Spot what i think is what i need and start 'watching' a pair of leggings that were advertised as 'New without tags'. Wait for the clock to click down..... still no bidders with less than half an hour to go. Starting price 99p or 'buy-it-now' £45...... pfffff theres noway i'm paying that, so put my 'max' bid in. Clock continues to click down... and down... and down... until finally.... no bidders except for me.... i 'win' the auction for the princely sum of 99p + p&p (all in about £6... i dont mind that). We were out at the time getting her car serviced, so as soon as i get home computer on to pay for my new (to me) leggings. No..... seems the guy had cancelled the order due to "i'm out of stock or the item is damaged". What he really means is "there's noway i'm accepting such a low offer so therefore you're not getting it". I've sold things before and not got 'what i was hoping for', but if you dont put a reserve then the way i see it the seller should fess up and let it go for what was bid. Probably happens a lot, but this is the first time i've ever experienced it. I could leave Trumpish feedback, but feel that would be childish.... but then i spose Trump is a bit of a big kid :lol: :lol:

You seem to have taken it in good spirit, seeing why he's done it, albeit he's in the wrong.
Annoying, but post is in the right tone, what can you do, no point in kicking off.

I would keep an eye on it. It'll be relisted, he'll get one of his mates to do it.

It's annoying but happens a lot sadly.

I sold a big old box of Lego from when I was a kid, loads of it. Only got a paltry £40 for it, very disappointing but I honoured the sale.

Speaking of ebay, you chaps seen the eBay scam thread concerning the Felder machines?

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/2nd-hand-machinery-sales-on-ebay-t116422.html

Very sneaky!

Complain to ebay.
A deal, is a deal.
If the seller (?) wouldnt pay for a reserve, thats his problem not yours.
Stamp out the rot as and when you find it, or its every man for himself.

I once found myself in this situation. One bid on the opening amount. But when the chap collected the item he insisted on giving me what he valued it at - which was considerably more. :shock: I didn't decline.

I "sold" an Orvis fishing rod at my start price. Only 1 bidder. I asked him to pay and he said "I didn't really want it "
Reported it to e bay but nothing happening.

One really annoying thing with ebay (not sure if they still do it) is that as a seller you can't leave bad feedback to a buyer. You can leave negative comments, but those comments will be attached as a "positive" on their record.

I sold an old phone, very cheap + £3 postage. Chap who won auction wanted to collect and pay in person to save postage, wanted to drive into London to collect it, bizarre request as driving in would cost more than postage! He had 100% feedback so thought whatever I'll agree to it, arranged a time at lunchtime. He doesn't show. I call him, says sorry, we arrange to meet day after, same thing happens.

Now, pretty annoyed I check out his feedback and see he's a serial offender for this, he wins auctions, arranges to collect then never shows! Everything from cars, caravans, jewellery, phones, bikes...absolute nutter who should be kicked off ebay but because of their daft system he's got 100% positive feedback.

Had that problem in the past with buyers not paying up and eBay not doing much to help (apart from refunding fees). After many years I have built up a large block list which I share with several other sellers and they likewise pass their blocked buyers lists on to me.

After 15 years and over 1000 transactions on Ebay, I've virtually given up using it unless it is buying from known sellers (e.g. Axminster's outlet) or selling for cash on collection. I think I now have problems with 1 out of 5 things I am selling - people not turning up or winning and then not contacting or asking me to send collection only items. I also bought a couple of mid-value things that were supposedly from the UK, but then turned out to be from China (VAT fraud) and never turned up. Ebay was completely useless in helping me get any kind of redress.

Peterm1000":3u43navq said:
After 15 years and over 1000 transactions on Ebay, I've virtually given up using it unless it is buying from known sellers (e.g. Axminster's outlet) or selling for cash on collection. I think I now have problems with 1 out of 5 things I am selling - people not turning up or winning and then not contacting or asking me to send collection only items. I also bought a couple of mid-value things that were supposedly from the UK, but then turned out to be from China (VAT fraud) and never turned up. Ebay was completely useless in helping me get any kind of redress.
We've stopped buying off ebay and stopped using PayPal (and swmbo has worked for banks for 35 years) as they were both so hopeless at addressing obvious frauds by sellers. :D
Incidentally, I heard a guy from ebay on the radio this morning saying 80% of their sales now in this Country are not auctions.

RogerP":3bx5rg6s said:
Had that problem in the past with buyers not paying up and eBay not doing much to help (apart from refunding fees). After many years I have built up a large block list which I share with several other sellers and they likewise pass their blocked buyers lists on to me.
It would be good if they refunded the money when sellers didn't supply the goods (and probably never had them to start with). :D

I buy on ebay all the time and have very little negative to say. For selling I always list on facebook or gumtree first as they're free, ebay is my last resort. Facebook has a lot of timewasters but a massive audience - at the weekend I listed my kayak when I sat down for lunch - before I was finished a guy was on his way for it. Cash money and no fees. Ebay needs to play catch up or they're going to start losing out!

TFrench":ee63ijxt said:
I buy on ebay all the time and have very little negative to say. For selling I always list on facebook or gumtree first as they're free, ebay is my last resort. Facebook has a lot of timewasters but a massive audience - at the weekend I listed my kayak when I sat down for lunch - before I was finished a guy was on his way for it. Cash money and no fees. Ebay needs to play catch up or they're going to start losing out!
Not sure what there is to catch up design/infrastructure wise...

Facebook users are typically posting stuff for local pickup. It is a terrible interface for selling and searching things, as it was never intended for this purpose, but people still use it anyway because that's where the users are. They have improved it, but it is still bad.

eBay in comparison has a comprehensive search system and multiple different ways of selling things, but peeps are spending time on Facebook and they only want local buyer's, so why not do it there...? There are also no fees, which helps. But somebody is paying, and that's the users with their data and their eyeballs on adverts.

If you are selling a high value item eBay is still THE place to sell though. I'm still selling stuff for more than I paid for on eBay - even factoring in fees. TS200 tablesaw, iMacs, Record vice etc. all being examples.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

RogerP":3h424qyk said:
I once found myself in this situation. One bid on the opening amount. But when the chap collected the item he insisted on giving me what he valued it at - which was considerably more. :shock: I didn't decline.

I won an auction for an old wooden 4 drawer filing cabinet a few years ago - oak frame doug fir panels and fronts with hardwood runners - for the same 99p and the seller honored the sale and agreed to sort out the shipping with me via shipley (which I paid, about £30) and be around when the couriers could collect.

When it arrived I felt so bad I sent him £40 via paypal - which he thanked me for, and remarked that it was good to see not all of humanity was lost just yet.

In your case you met a dishonest seller but it's always worth a punt, as not everyone's a crook.

Latest posts

Back