Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Flexible drive wood working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I have just crept over here from the wood turning section, I don't normally wander like this but I need some help from you guys out there. I want to buy a flexible drive system, something like a proxxon or a dremel or even something from Axy. The main purpose for this is to add decoration and texturing to some of the items I make on the lathe. I suppose its a bit like taking up golf and you haven't got a clue, you go into the shop and there are hundreds of clubs, what ones do you choose. I have never done anything like this before and completely in the dark and I don't know anyone who does it either. Some of the flexible drives are hand drills taking bits up to 10mm, thats not what I want, I think the one I want takes 3.2mm bits that are readily available in all shapes and sizes. This is where I am confused again, there are milling bits, burrs, rasp etc,here are hundreds of them. I don't want to buy what I don't need so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
Just something to consider-- Do you actually need a flexible drive? A dremel is quite light to handle and will deliver more than enough power for what you want with out having a flexi snake to drag behind it.

my 2p

Bob

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
9fingers":fayw3xy3 said:
Just something to consider-- Do you actually need a flexible drive? A dremel is quite light to handle and will deliver more than enough power for what you want with out having a flexi snake to drag behind it.

my 2p

Bob
I'd second what Bob says, and you can get boxed kits of large assortment of burrs, little sanding / cutting disks and polishers from various sources. Even seen them in Lidl and Aldi.

Bob

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't even consider a hand held one, it sounds a brilliant idea, it sounds as if it would be a lot more versatile than a flexi shaft. Thanks guys. Just need to sort out what bits I need now, it is mainly for adding decoration and texturing to my turned pieces, maybe some flower type decoration on lids of boxes or a band pattern on a spindle. Keep the advice coming everyone. I need it.

Geoff

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
Never seen much point in a flexi shaft, just a little too much pressure and it will end up in a knot. Hand held is the way to go.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Chippygeoff":31z3x14x said:
I didn't even consider a hand held one, it sounds a brilliant idea, it sounds as if it would be a lot more versatile than a flexi shaft. Thanks guys. Just need to sort out what bits I need now, it is mainly for adding decoration and texturing to my turned pieces, maybe some flower type decoration on lids of boxes or a band pattern on a spindle. Keep the advice coming everyone. I need it.

Geoff
Hi Geoff

I mentioned cheap bits - just type rotary burrs into ebay search and you'll see what I mean

Bob

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, S France. Now NW Wilts, UK
I have both and it's horses for courses and one of the flexi drives I have is the Axy heavy duty jod and I use it mainly for power sanding where it is turning a 2" disk on rotating wood bits. No problems even with the torque that is going through the flexy shaft.

I have a battery Dremel and a mains Dremel and they are good for the smaller jobs, but if I have to do very much in the way of cutting then I find the flexi drive more comfortable to use.

It is just what you are comfortable with?

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
["... and now it's time for the Rambling Proxxon Owner..."]

I had a B+D mains one, which died in a shower of sparks. I've now got one of the least expensive Proxxons, which has been thoroughly abused but refuses to quit.

Some observations:
  • Cutting speed matters enormously. The smallest cutting/grinding tools are almost useless, as they don't have the diameter to give you a decent surface speed.
  • That said, you can get them into places and finish things you wouldn't think possible any other way (I rebuilt the spirals on a pair of huge rising butt hinges by repeatedly welding-then-grinding).
  • The cheap Lidl-type sets are brilliant value, especially the burr tools for wood.
  • The cardboard drum sanding things don't last any time at all, which isn't really surprising I guess.
  • Dremel do extra-thick cutting discs for metal. They're really good. Ditto their (expensive) diamond discs.
  • Proxxon do a very thin, flexible saw blade, mainly for wood. It's amazing.
  • The things do run hot.
  • The Proxxon's on/off switch is badly sited, so it's easy to knock it on by accident, and the spindle lock can be caught by a stray finger when you're working. The build quality makes up for these points, but they are annoying.
  • The B+D had a mechanical interlock between spindle lock and power switch for tool changes. Much better arrangement than the Proxxon.
  • The Proxxon has a keyless chuck which works well. It comes with a few small twist drills, the smallest being 0.5mm. The B+D had a spannered collet, which was the spawn of Satan.
  • Most Proxxons (and most of the others) take a flexible drive as an accessory. I've never seen the need, but you get the best of both worlds that way.
  • The Proxxon's blown plastic carry case is as useful for the purpose as a housebrick would be. It's too small and there's nowhere for the cable or the UK mains plug. The cutters are fragile, and I haven't devised storage (yet) that's compact but keeps everything safe.
  • On both the ones I had, the mains cable is/was quite inflexible in cold weather. Legally, you're no longer supposed to fit thin mains cable to things (as a manufacturer - elves and satyrs), but I have a small amount of 3A 3-core left (thin, flexible and circular). A cable change is scheduled...
  • Get one you can hang up. If they fall off the bench (because of the awkward cable), the cutter usually bends or shatters.

[that's enough rambling, Ed.]

Years back I couldn't see the point of these things ("toy drills"); now I wouldn't be without mine.

E.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a flexidrive that came with my Dremel, which I bought about 10 years ago. To date I haven't used the drive in anger. In trials it worked well though, so I kept it on the basis that one day I might find a use for it. It would enable me to get a drill bit into places that a hand-brace wouldn't fit I suppose. Although how accurate it would be remains to be seen.

HTH

John :)

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a dremmel with a flexi shaft from a car boot recently and have used it a bit, I suspended the drill from the ceiling but have found that when useing the flexi like this its quite difficult to be accurate because it sways too much. It came with a huge amount of rotary burs, sanders and router bits aswell as a mini pillar drill stand. It was a bit sad really, their was this old chap selling the contents of his workshop because he could no longer manage. I thought that is me in 30 years

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the 'old chap's' feelings Wal.

That's me in ten years time! (If I am realistic... 5? ) 8)

John :mrgreen:

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Geoff

Wife dragged me into Lidl this morning and they have a small rotary kit including accessories for £20. Worth a punt possibly if you have a store near you?

Bob