Flexi veneer for curves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
I just want to double check having never used it before that flexi veneer can be used length ways around curves with a radius of 75mm ?

I have found a few suppliers via google and the bay, but anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

The Term "Flexi Veneer" does not mean its more bendable than any other veneer. It means the leaves have been jointed and made up into an 8x4 and the whole lot is bonded to a paper backing sheet.

You should be OK with the grain running across the bend but it gets a bit more risky if you want the grain to follow the bend but does depend on species and the width of the sheet.

J

jasonB":271uztso said:
The Term "Flexi Veneer" does not mean its more bendable than any other veneer. It means the leaves have been jointed and made up into an 8x4 and the whole lot is bonded to a paper backing sheet.

You should be OK with the grain running across the bend but it gets a bit more risky if you want the grain to follow the bend but does depend on species and the width of the sheet.

J
I was hoping to get the grain running with the bend rather than across it. Is it possible to buy cross grain veneer with the grain running across the length rather than with the length ?

It makes no diference which way it runs on the sheet, its the wood grain that makes the difference. The paper is only really there to keep the leaves together and does not affect how things bend.

What wood were you thinking of I'll see what offcuts I've got and how tight they will bend.

J

Was thinking of one of the following. Walnut, Zebrano or Maple. Thanks

Well I had a bit of maple in the shop about 400mm square.

Bent with the grain going across the curve you can get it down to 75mm dia so your 75mm rad will not be a problem

IMAG0206.jpg

Bending the other way needed a bit more coaking but 150mm dia is possible but it will take a lot more pulling down and I should think 100mm could be done provided you can hold it down before it goes into the vac bag.

IMAG0207.jpg

I should think that Walnut will perform in much the same way as the maple but the zebrano may let go a bit sooner.

J

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to experiment for me. I think I will see if I can get a sheet of cross grain veneer.

Have you tried bendy ply? Its a wood called ceiba. You can get it in 10 x 5 sheets from lathems timber. Could vac bag whatever face veneer you want onto it

Back