Flat or chamfered?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So today I was clearing an overgrown corner of the school grounds and found some cast iron bench ends, they're in pretty good condition, no cracks or damage that I can see so thought I would have a go at rebuilding one of them with some 5ft lengths of 2x1 iroko, I don't have enough to make the bench 5foot long so plan to cut the lengths in half and have a small bench / wide chair, I cut the first one and offered it up but the rail the wood sits on is not 90degrees from vertical, should I cut the wood to fit or leave it flat.
20220210_101808.jpg
20220210_101850.jpg

If the land that the timber sits on has the same gap where all the slats will fit I would chamfer but, if not, then no. After all it's a garden bench which is very unlikely to be displayed in the V&A! :D

The 6 on the vertical/back rest have the same/similar gap, once on the horizontal / seat part the gap is much less or not there.

I would shape the ends to fit to give the best contact and stiffness.

I'd leave them. A little clearance gap won't hold water. If it wasn't there you'd want to replicate the effect by putting in a brass washer to lift the wood off the iron.

Yep, it’s draft.

That design is mass produced and fairly clean, some of the lower volume parts have lumps and bumps all over the place and the wood is just hammered on till it’s in, they don’t make them like they used to, thankfully.

You need a middle bit. Which is a thin flat metal strip running top to bottom on the back of the bench, screwed into each slat. Otherwise when you sit in it the slats will bend, maybe even break. Ties the whole lot together, and if you look at examples on google you'll see one fitted.

I've a couple of these ends someone put out to the bin, and kept them to make a chair with(or bench, length is whatever you want. I've some 38mm thick Afromosia sitting spare to make the slats from. Whereas previously it would have been cheap pine or something. Afromosia would be ideal for an outdoor life.

You need a middle bit. Which is a thin flat metal strip running top to bottom on the back of the bench, screwed into each slat. Otherwise when you sit in it the slats will bend, maybe even break. Ties the whole lot together, and if you look at examples on google you'll see one fitted.

I've a couple of these ends someone put out to the bin, and kept them to make a chair with(or bench, length is whatever you want. I've some 38mm thick Afromosia sitting spare to make the slats from. Whereas previously it would have been cheap pine or something. Afromosia would be ideal for an outdoor life.
I do have the straps for the back, as well as the diagonal straps that go on the underneath.

Not sure if this is the answer or even works but what if the cast bench ends were splayed to allow the slats to sit flat.
The result would be a bench that for me would be quite pleasing to the eye.
Cheers Andy

Not sure if this is the answer or even works but what if the cast bench ends were splayed to allow the slats to sit flat.
The result would be a bench that for me would be quite pleasing to the eye.
Cheers Andy
Possibly, I'll have a look and see if that would work on Monday.

Latest posts

Back