Flat head screw supplier - am i being daft?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
So, i need some screws, about 65mm ish long (not too important, but around that) with a flat head.

Not philips, not pozi, not torx, or any other modern head - just a old style grooved head.

Ideally id like them in untreated.

Its for a job thats supposed to look like it wasnt done yesterday. Ideally id like to use cut clasp nails, but the job wont withstand me whacking it as hard as they would need, so flat head screws would be the next best bet.

For some reason i just cant find them! Im sure theyre all over the place, but, for some reason im missing them?

Thank you,
Julian

So, i need some screws, about 65mm ish long (not too important, but around that) with a flat head.

Not philips, not pozi, not torx, or any other modern head - just a old style grooved head.

Ideally id like them in untreated.

Its for a job thats supposed to look like it wasnt done yesterday. Ideally id like to use cut clasp nails, but the job wont withstand me whacking it as hard as they would need, so flat head screws would be the next best bet.

For some reason i just cant find them! Im sure theyre all over the place, but, for some reason im missing them?

Thank you,
Julian
They are called slotted screws and you can get them all over the place.
Pre-drill for cut nails if necessary. Pre-drilling is a good nail trick, even with panel pins if you are doing thin stuff where they must go in straight

One more vote for screwsline. They're good people to deal with.
You probably don't want to hear this, but I have a handful,of exactly what you want, or maybe close to. I got them whilst dismantling old pews in an 1850s church. Sadly though they will all be used on a project I have on the go ATM.

You’re using the American term for them, that might explain why you are not finding them
Aidan

having not looked for them recently I hadn't realised that were hard to find, or at least not commonplace anymore. assumed that screwfix would do them, but it seems not. awful to use with a combi drill so I guess they've just fallen out of common use

Sorry couldn’t get the link to work, MJ Wilson fastenings they do a multitude of things, they have about six bases across the UK, mainly stainless they supply all sorts of industries including the petrochemical that’s where I usually get my slot head countersunk stainless steel screws from. Ian

Latest posts

Back