Flaming June !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank S

Established Member
Reaction score
Here we are at half past June and fast approaching midsummer day.I am still having to wear a thick sweater in the workshop,and PJ`s at night (no, not over the sweater).The tomatoes have stalled in the greenhouse and the beans have stopped climbing the poles.The car boots are washed out and my bowls matches are rained off and I`m suffering rust instead of suntan.
I`m glad the jubilee celebs are over,but still enduring the run up to the Olympics and everywhere you look on the telly there`s bl**dy football.
To think I came home from Saudi to this rainsodden and windblown country.I`ve a mind to pack everything up and,like Jonzjob, move to a country that has a climate and not just suffer from weather !!GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
END OF RANT. (No,thank you,nurse I don`t want another tablet.)
Frank.

I know but coming back to the country from Japan and comparing the way people dress/behave/carry themselves in Japan compared to the huge number of lardarses aka fat chavs in this country, one could be forgiven for thinking that this 'sodding' country was equally as valid!

And we have a magnificent crop of ash saplings, never known so many. Out of interest are you suffering this year. We have woods at the back of us and there is a lot of Ash growing. The saplings can grow quite a few feet the first season if you dont watch out. The wet is making it worse.

I had to work under an umbrella all day yesterday and it's looking like it's going to be just the same today ....33c ....way to hot for working in .....Flaming June ,July,August,September and then it cools off and drops to the mid 20s ......I'd much sooner be in the uk at this time of year .....thats why we will be coming back in a few weeks time for a couple of months .

My sister says that, the british summer is her favourite day of the year ... :lol:

Wet

Windy

Cold

Lightening at 3am today

Thunder at 3am today

I still have my winter bedding on :?

My plants have all drowned and failed

And YES I still have difficulty with this ( Global Warming ) claim :?

The weather is S h - t :evil:

Frank, don't be too quick to rush down here. I put t shirt and shorts on when I got up this morn. I have added a sweatshirt to that and if it carries on will be adding jogging trousers as well :shock: :shock: Normally I would have been in shorts since April, but not this year!

About a month ago there were tremendous storms east of us in the Var, north of Cannes area, and the hail stripped the vines clean of young grapes and leaves! About 50 wine producers lost the lot! It's estimated that it will take them about 2 years to recover.

Last Feb, just gone, we had 2 weeks of sub zero temps, getting down to -11ºC and wind chills of -15 or so. It killed loads of mature mimosa trees. So we don't always have wall to wall sun and warm, only most of the time :mrgreen:

One very good thing is that when it rains, even in winter, a few hours after it's dry. No soggy, dirty roads, no muck being thrown about. Just dry.. Almost no salt either 8) 8)

Right now we have torrential rain/hail coming down at 45 degrees, with the odd thnder bolt thrown in for good measure. If it gets any darker I'll have to put the lights on.

Barbecue, anyone?

S

Here in the lower middle of France its sweltering :lol:

I've been sitting out under the umbrella, dressed shall we say 'al fresco' with the chisels and scrapers on the garden table, trying to finish my latest piece of 'art' for the gallery.

However, its been a wierd old year. We had so much rain earlier that the bees wouldn't venture out. Our fruit supply is going to be disastrous this year. Our cherry tree that is normally bowed down with fruit now has none at all on it -nada - zero - the few there were have all been eaten by hungry blackbirds.

On the other hand, the vegetables are going mad, as are the beeches we are making a hedge with. The roses like it too. Thats two years on the trot that have been out of pattern. The reasons?? Who knows. I know some people don't believe in MMGW but there is definitely something strange happening to weather patterns.

I have no technical knowledge to draw on but then neither do 99% of the deniers. Most scientists would have us believe its our fault!!

I would love to have been a 'fly on the wll' at the end of the last ice age and listening to the 'scientists' then.

The conversation could have gone along the lines of " I towd yer vat inventin fire would do us no good! Wer'r doomed! We'r all doomed I ell yer". And because nobody had been clever enough to invent a boat they were :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A hundred and some yers back there were markets regularly held on the Thames because it was frozen so hard, but in our wonderful day and age there's no money to be made by telling people that this weather pattern has been going on for a few billion years or so?

Failing that, we'r doomed, we'r all doomed :shock: :shock:

Cor dear Roger! That web site ain't arf difficult to read sat out here on our terrace in the blinding sun 8) 8) I'm not too worried because Bucherach is only about an hour south of us

http://www.pri.org/stories/politics-soc ... e2592.html

RogerS":m6u56btf said:
gus3049":m6u56btf said:

I have no technical knowledge to draw on but then neither do 99% of the deniers. Most scientists would have us believe its our fault!!

It's all explained here :-"

Damn, and the mortgage runs for another five years too.

What can I spend the dosh on now?
Jonzjob":m6u56btf said:
I would love to have been a 'fly on the wll' at the end of the last ice age and listening to the 'scientists' then.

The conversation could have gone along the lines of " I towd yer vat inventin fire would do us no good! Wer'r doomed! We'r all doomed I ell yer". And because nobody had been clever enough to invent a boat they were :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A hundred and some yers back there were markets regularly held on the Thames because it was frozen so hard, but in our wonderful day and age there's no money to be made by telling people that this weather pattern has been going on for a few billion years or so?

Failing that, we'r doomed, we'r all doomed :shock: :shock:

But...... if there was ever a subject that begs for Pascal's wager, this is it. It doesn't bother me, I don't have children and I am reasonably sure that the planet will see me out.

As I said before, whilst there is a small percentage of climate scientists denying everything, most believe in MMGW. How can the uninformed judge except to take the majority verdict and cross everything.

Twas always thus. We trust scientists to do most things for us (together with engineers of course) I wonder why this subject is different, if it isn't for interested parties being a bit vociferous would there be such disagreement? Surely, the money is being made by those DENYING it. Most 'anti' science seems backed by the oil industry and other bespoilers.

I am the ultimate sceptic and accept nothing until I've touched it, tasted it or smelt it but some things are beyond my knowledge. This is one of them. How am I to form an opinion? Most people just seem to rush in and accept the most convenient answer to everything.

However, I'm with Pascal.

PS I feel that it should perhaps be 'smelled' - I don't do much in the way of metalwork!

"I am the ultimate sceptic and accept nothing until I've touched it, tasted it or smelt it"

I should be very careful what you stand in then Gordon :shock: :shock

This Pascal bloke seems to have been a bit Blaisé to me and I do believe that it is not certain that everything is uncertain. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

RogerS":ymixvtxu said:
I know but coming back to the country from Japan and comparing the way people dress/behave/carry themselves in Japan compared to the huge number of lardarses aka fat chavs in this country, one could be forgiven for thinking that this 'sodding' country was equally as valid!
+1...absolutely - Rob

Back